8 Ways to Treat Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

As a fan of Parks and Rec, one of my favorite recurring bits is when Tom and Donna have ‘Treat Yo Self’ Day. It’s basically an excuse to pamper oneself and why shouldn’t you? You’re amazing. Here are some of my favorite ways to treat myself when life gets a little chaotic and I need a break.

1. Read a good book

Some of my recent favorites: Sourdough by Robin Sloan, Fun Home: a family tragicomic by Alison Bechdel, and NW by Zadie Smith.

2. Exercise

When I’m stressed, I don’t make going to the gym a priority. But, I’ve actually found that going is a great way to unwind. So not only are you treating yourself, you’re also taking care of your body!

3. Go for a walk

I find myself looking at screens for the majority of the day. Sometimes it’s nice to just take a break from electronics and enjoy the world around me.

4. Catch up on your favorite show

Every week I make sure to watch Grey’s Anatomy. It’s one of my favorite shows and it guarantees that I have one 40-ish minute break to just sit back and relax. Although, I’m never fully relaxed because Shonda Rhimes loves to keep me on the edge of my seat.

5. Hang out with friends

Sometimes I can get caught up in the amount of work I have and I end up sequestered in my room. It’s nice to take a break from that and hang out with my friends, even if it just talking in one of our kitchens.

6. Take a long shower

I love taking a nice, long, hot shower at the end of the day. It’s a great way to treat myself without costing anything (cause I don’t pay a water bill yet)

7. Blast some music

Put on the music of your favorite artist and just sing along. My go to is John Mayer.

8. Eat a good meal

My mom always tells me to eat a good meal. Whether I’m stressed or traveling to a new city, this advice applies. I find that a delicious meal just makes me feel great and it’s one that I constantly listen to.

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.