This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

I became an English major because I love reading. As a kid, I used to read all the time. I would read while walking down the stairs and my parents would threaten to take away my books when I got in trouble. As much as I love reading though, I haven’t had a lot of time for personal reading during my time in college. As an English major, all of my homework involves reading, which makes reading in my free time unappealing (sometimes you just need a break!). So I’m excited to graduate because it means I’ll have more time to read the books on my constantly growing list. Here are some of the books I’m most excited about reading!

Michelle Obama’s Becoming (2018)

I love memoirs so I was very excited when Michelle Obama published one. I’ve heard great things about the book and can’t wait to read this in-depth account of the Former First Lady’s life. I know a few people who have been able to see her on tour and their accounts of the experience sound amazing!

Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (2017)

I bought this book last semester and it has been sitting on my desk untouched. I have heard that this book is really powerful and I am eager to read it. Plus, Reese Witherspoon’s production company is set to turn this story into a movie and I always think adaptations are fun.  

Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Namesake (2003)

One of my fellow English majors is writing her senior thesis about Lahiri’s fiction and after reading drafts of her writing, I really want to read Lahiri’s work! This book sounds really rich in description and I’m excited to dive into it after graduating. 

Susan Orlean’s The Library Book (2018)

Reese Witherspoon hosts a book club through Instagram where she releases a new pick every month! I’ve been following her account for a while now, but haven’t had time to read any of her picks yet. This book was her January choice and it’s a nonfiction account of the fire that destroyed the Los Angeles Public Library. I’m not usually a fan of nonfiction, but this book seems interesting as the real life story is surrounded in mystery. 

Reese Witherspoon’s Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, and Baking Biscuits (2018)

Can you tell I’m a fan of Reese Witherspoon?? This text is part cookbook and part memoir featuring recipes from her childhood and stories about those recipes. I’m excited about this book because it combines my love of cooking and memoirs, all written by one of my favorite actresses!

Happy reading!

Alexandra Loh

Dickinson '19

Alex is a senior English major at Dickinson College. Alex enjoys traveling, cooking, and watching college basketball.
Anonymous at Dickinson