4 Organizations Empowering Women that You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month, collegiettes! At Her Campus, empowerment is something that we strive for and there are so many awesome Non Profits out there with the aim of empowering women. In celebrating women this month, we decided to highlight a few of the many organizations supporting women and women’s issues.

Image

She’s the First

Social media is a powerful tool in the 21st century and She’s the First (STF) is using it as a tool for good. STF works to spread awareness for issues affecting women and girls around the world, especially in terms of making education available to all women. Dickinson even has, as of this year, its own chapter of STF. To learn more about how She’s the First is working to educate and advocate about women’s issues internationally, check out their website.

Girls Write Now

A big shout out to one of our writers here at HC, Julia, for making us aware of this awesome organization! Girls Write Now is an NGO that “mentors underserved high school girls in New York City’s five boroughs” to “empower girls to find their voices and tell their stories.” Want to know more? Check out Girls Write Now’s website and learn how to get involved.

Girls Not Brides

According to Girls Not Brides’ website, “Each year, 15 million girls are married before the age of 18. That is 28 girls every minute – married off too soon, endangering their personal development and wellbeing.” Girls Not Brides aims to combat child marriage by upholding the rights of women and girls in communities where women are undervalued. By fighting child marriage, Girls Not Brides combats this by working implement laws protecting women and girls, as well as raising awareness about child marriage through advocacy. You can learn more about this amazing NGO here!

YWCA Carlisle

This list would not be complete without including a local organization aimed to provide a number of different resources for women in the Carlisle community. The YWCA not only aims to empower women and girls and eliminate inequality, but also provides services for victims of sexual assault. Get involved with the YWCA and learn more at their website, or pay them a visit at the Bosler House on West High Street.

While t there are so many that could have been highlighted, we are honored to feature these four wonderful NGOs working to empower and educate women and girls. Be sure to check out these organizations and all of the invaluable work that they do.

Alexandra (Alex) is a Senior classics and religion double major and Campus Correspondent at Dickinson College. On campus, Alex is a first-year mentor, plays club sports, and is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her spare time, Alex is a self-confessed Food Network junkie and shopaholic. After graduation, she would love to work at a magazine or a PR agency. You can find her on instagram and twitter at @astagsss.