3 Reasons Why Being in a Sorority is Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Greek life has a controversial reputation. Some people view it as a positive thing while others view it as a dangerous nuisance. While greek life can certainly be problematic at times, most chapters and most members do not fit the stereotypes. As a member of a sorority, I will discuss a few of the positive attributes of sorority life.

1. The People

There is a misconception that joining a sorority limits your social circle. This could not be further from the truth. If anything, it expands it. I met so many amazing people through my sorority who I would not have gotten the opportunity to meet otherwise. Contrary to popular belief, being in a sorority does not keep me from meeting people from outside my organization. 

2. The High Standards 

Greek life, when it is operating the way it should be, promotes the development of its members. Being in a sorority motivates you to pursue higher professional, academic, and personal goals. In almost every sorority, you are held to a minimum GPA standard. You are also constantly pushed to study and achieve great things academically. My sorority has definitely enriched my academic life. 

You are also required to participate in philanthropy. Greek life has greatly contributed to various philanthropic causes over the years. It is so easy to get involved with community service as a member of greek life. Opportunities to volunteer are always available. 

My sorority (and I am sure this applies to a lot of other sororities as well) emphasizes leadership. We are encouraged to pursue leadership roles on campus and involvement is rewarded. My sorority motivates me to be the best version of myself. 

3. The Connection to Something Greater than Yourself 

My sorority has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. Wherever I go, I always meet someone from my sorority. There are opportunities for networking and engagement beyond college life. I love feeling like I am a part of something bigger than myself and my campus. 

If you are thinking about joining a sorority, I would definitely encourage you to go through recruitment! Do not listen to the stereotypes. But most importantly, stay true to yourself. If it is not something for you, then don’t force it. Best of luck!

Anonymous at Dickinson