sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

11 Cafeteria Hacks Everybody Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Picture this: it’s been a long day and all you can think about is how much work you have and how hungry you are. You drag yourself to the cafeteria only to realize that nothing is appetizing. Instead of wasting your meal swipe and money by purchasing food off campus, here are 11 easy and delicious meals that you can make in the caf!

1. Make a panini

Don’t feel like eating a cold sandwich? Grab ingredients from the deli or the salad bar line and head to the panini press for a toasty sandwich!

2. Make a grilled cheese

Are none of the options on the main entrée line appealing to you? A grilled cheese paired with tomato soup (or frankly any soup) and a piece of fruit will make for a hearty lunch.

3. Make a quesadilla

To make a quesadilla, grab a tortilla from the deli and add some veggies from the salad line. If you’re feeling adventurous, add ham and other meats from the deli. Grill your quesadilla on the panini press and take it out when it is golden brown.

4. Make a salad

Sometimes the best, most refreshing (and healthy!) lunch comes from the salad bar. I’ve come to find that the best salads are composed of a base (or mix of bases), five toppings, one source of meat (for protein) and a dressing of your choice. Don’t like any of the dressing options? Grab a few lemons from the salad bar and use the juice for a fresh touch.

5. Make a pizza bagel

No pizza at the caf? Can’t afford to spend money at Miseno’s or George’s? Grab some cheese and tomatoes from the salad bar and toast it on a bagel !

6. Create your own mocha

If you aren’t a fan of the regular cafeteria coffee, add a little bit of milk and some cocoa powder. The combination will definitely turn your day around!

7. Make a root beer float

A root beer float is simple and delicious! Get root beer from the soda machine and either ice cream or froyo for something sweet and bubbly. 

8. Make an ice cream sandwich

Take two cookies and put a scoop of ice cream in between! For a little something extra, put your cookies through the toaster beforehand to make them warm, gooey and delicious. 

9. To-go snacks

For those looking for a lighter option, you can’t go wrong with avocado toast or, even better, a slice of toast with peanut butter, sliced bananas and honey.  If you’re tight on time, a parfait is a great breakfast. An apple or a banana with peanut butter is also a classic for a quick and delicious snack.

10. Don’t forget about the waffle maker in the corner!

Tucked away with the soup and sauce stations is one of Dickinson caf’s best features: the waffle maker! With pre-made batter, it’s easy to make a warm and fluffy waffle. If you want a more exciting topping for your waffle than just syrup, add sliced bananas, blueberries, and yogurt!

11. Breakfast sandwich

Don’t think that the only place where you can get a breakfast sandwich is Union Station (the SNAR)! You can easily make one yourself at the caf. Toast a bagel, add eggs however you like them, top with cheese and add sliced tomatoes for extra flavor.

Now that you know these tips and tricks, you’re sure to be a caf expert.

Janna is an Sociology major with a love for sunshine, traveling, baking, music, coffee, and writing.