This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Why I Decided to Loc My Hair

By Shelynn Handy

High school and college me was notorious for a rapid change of hairstyle. I’m talking about something new almost every week. Doing that for so many years can be pretty exhausting. It got to the point where if my hair wasn’t done, I wasn’t leaving the house. Or it would be me sitting up at three in the morning still trying to finish my hair before the festivities that start at nine. I woke up one morning and realized that I just didn’t want to do it anymore. I felt like all the time I was using on my hair could be used to do more productive things. I could be reading or sewing or just enjoying life in general. So, I loc’d my hair.

I started my locs using the two-strand twist method and three months later, I can honestly tell you it’s saving me so much time and effort. I don’t have to put in the extra effort to make sure my hair looks perfect in the morning. I don’t have to deal with weekly or bi-weekly maintenance anymore. I don’t even have to spend money on tons of hair products anymore! Deciding to loc my hair has definitely been a decision that has saved my time and my pockets. 

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!