1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Life > Experiences

Why I Celebrate Black History Month Loud And Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Every year I anticipate the beginning of February for what it entails. Not just my birthday or Valentine’s Day— but Black History Month. To me it was normal to celebrate Black History Month, especially considering the fact that I’m Black. I never questioned once why I was celebrating, I just knew I was proud to be Black, and I thought that it was important to learn about Black history in a country that was built by African Americans.

Black History Month, originally dubbed “Negro History Week,” was created by Carter G. Woodson in order to dedicate a time to the “study and celebration” of African Americans. This was essential during the 1920s, a time when being Black was seen as being less than. Although the study and celebration of Black people is a year-long thing for me, February is a time when I’ll scream just a little louder for my people.

These thoughts were never challenged in my mind until I came across a YouTube video by VICE where a young Black man named Lee discussed why he thought Black History Month shouldn’t exist. Seeing that coming from another Black person intrigued me, so naturally, I watched it, hoping that the video was just clickbait. 

It was not. However, I did understand some of the points that he was referring to, but I strongly disagree due to the way he executed his thought process.

Lee states that the only parts of Black history being taught during February are “the stuff that doesn’t make white people feel uncomfortable,” which is true — we always learn about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Jackie Robinson, and Rosa Parks, but what about the lesser-known parts of Black history such as Claudette Colvin, the NAACP, the Black Panther Party, the Tulsa massacre, or the MOVE bombing in Philadelphia?

In my opinion, this should be all the more of a reason to be loud about celebrating Black History Month and making it a point to recognize the entirety of Black history.

It is imperative that people continue to learn the truth and not a white-washed version of our history. 

“Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.”

Malcom X

Just last year, Florida Governor, Ron DeSantis banned AP African American history for Florida high schoolers, because he thought, “The content of this course is inexplicably contrary to Florida law, and significantly lacks educational value.” What about Black history is lacking educational value? In a country that was built upon African American labor, how does our history not hold importance?

At times some who aspire to obtain power, resort to strategies that keep people ignorant. Therefore it is essential to educate yourself about your history and not depend on others.To make the most of February we can remember the basic vision Woodson had for us: to study and to celebrate.

There are a plethora of articles and books you can read, but one I am going to highlight is the 1619 Project. The 1619 Project was started by Nikole Hannah-Jones, a Black journalist, and The New York Times Magazine. It includes a collection of essays, poems, and fiction that helps “explain not only the persistence of anti-Black racism and inequality in American life today, but also the roots of so much of what makes the country unique.”

As for celebration, the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) has a different theme for Black History Month every year, this year being “African Americans and the arts.” In 2024, we can spotlight the many talented African American musicians, artists, singers, actors, and everything else that makes up visual and performing arts. 

Most importantly, celebrate yourself. Be Black, be proud, and don’t let anyone tell you differently.

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.