mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Truth About The Gluten-Free Fad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The Truth About The Gluten-Free Fad

There has been this new diet going around about eating Gluten-free, but do we truly know its effects and what it’s doing to us?  The problem with this fad is some say they are going gluten-free but they still are not fully committed. That gives trouble to those who are truly going gluten-free, since restaurants serve “gluten-free” meals, when they still have gluten in them.  But let’s rewind to the basics and learn what “gluten-free” is.

Gluten:

“A substance present in cereal grains, especially wheat, that is responsible for the elastic texture of dough. A mixture of two proteins, it causes illness in people with celiac disease.”

Gluten-Free Diet:

“A gluten-free diet is a diet that strictly excludes gluten, which is a mixture of proteins found in wheat, as well as barley, rye, and oats. The inclusion of oats in a gluten-free diet remains controversial, and may depend on the oat cultivar and the frequent cross-contamination with other gluten-containing cereals.”

Many go on a gluten-free diet due to a disease, food allergy, or cause its the latest fad.  Those with celiac disease have trouble, as mentioned above, restaurants say food is gluten-free when it is not.  A good amount of food allergies are avoided in a gluten-free diet since it features a natural diet. Primarily eating natural foods of fruits, vegetables, milk, and much more.  Many spices are not used and it is best described as “eating as a caveman.” Others go on the gluten-free diet since it is a fad and helps those lose weight quickly. On the gluten-free diet, you have to find substitutes for some food groups.  For example: Soybeans are a great source of protein.

Risks

There are always risks to a diet, but one important one includes foods being high in sugar.  Therefore, you could get diabetes and when on the diet, you should track what you eat. Those with celiac disease are the main users of the gluten-free diet. Those who can are not have long-term risk factors of higher risk for coronary heart disease and lower intake of whole grains.  Therefore, it is recommended that only those with celiac disease go on the gluten-free diet rather than someone who is not a patient.

Benefits

As mentioned before, there are benefits such as weight loss which is definitely an appealing factor.  Others include a healthier lifestyle and the feeling of being more energized. It helps with symptoms of bloating, headaches, and etc., but it can also cause other symptoms as explained in the risks of going on a gluten-free diet.

Overall, for those who were unsure of whether or not to go gluten-free, along with those who had no idea what it was. I hope this short summary helped clarify the gluten-free diet with the definitions, risks, and benefits.  For more information, you can find several articles with deeper information about the gluten-free diet on googles, mayo clinic, journals, and much more.

*Definitions are sourced from google*

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history! 
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!