Tips I Learned From Senior Capstone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

I had finally finished the one class that is required to graduate with a Mass Communication degree.  Each concentration is different; public relations does a panel, essay, and powerpoint. Convergence journalism does a magazine and essay.  Television, radio, and film does a video, which was my capstone.  I had done my video on the public relations and marketing behind gluten-free products.  The video was five minutes and forty-two seconds.  We also had to turn in our logs and source logs.  After finally completing my presentation in front of four professors who critiqued it, I wanted to share some tips to those who are going to take the class too.

Tips

• Do not procrastinate and wait until the last minute

• Choose a topic where you can easily find three interviews

• Plan your b-roll and filming days

• Go to your professors during office hours, so they can check your progress from your video to your script

• Your script is going to change multiple times

• There is no “complete video,” there will always be revisions

• Choose a topic you can be challenged by and you are passionate about

• Do not put duplicates in your video

• Be prepared to dress business casual for your final presentation

• You are going to be stressed, so take that into consideration. It is not easy so maybe plan some personal days

• The day before your presentation, make sure everything is prepared from your outfit to your video

I hope you do well on your senior capstone and that this helps! Good Luck :)  

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!