This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

“If January is the month of change, February is the month of lasting change. January is for dreamers… February is for doers.” -Marc Parent

I’m sure you’ve heard all the jokes before, February is the shortest month, February is the Pluto of the calendar, and more, but despite its lack of a full 30 days, February is a wonderful month filled with spirit. 

February is the only month with a leap day (Feb. 29), and 2024 is the year we get to celebrate February for one extra day! Along with it being a leap year, February is Black History Month, an important time set aside to celebrate African Americans and our history.

My opinion might be a little biased due to the fact that I was born in February, but this article will be sure to convince you of the small might that is February. As we wrap up the month, take a moment to recognize the power of February.

Name origin

A lot of months are named after Roman gods, such as January being named after the Roman god Janus, but interestingly enough, February, with all its quirks, is named after a Roman festival. Februa, an ancient Roman festival of purification held on February 15, in the old lunar Roman calendar. The name for the Roman god, Februus, the god of purification, came after the festival.

Birthstone

Amethyst, a beautiful purple stone and variation of quartz, takes the throne for the February birthstone. Deep purple amethysts are the most recognized, but they can range from light purple colors to dark reds.

For all my crystal lovers out there, Amethyst is seen as the stone of peace. It is a powerful and protective stone that removes negative thoughts, guards against dark energy, and provides a sense of peace.

Birth Flower

Similar to January, February boasts two birth flowers to symbolize the month. These flowers are Violets and Primrose. Both flowers are perennials, which means that you can look forward to them blooming every year.

Violets are sweet-smelling flowers that come in a variety of colors such as purple, blue, violet, white, and yellow. They don’t usually bloom in the wild during February, but you can catch them in mid-May.

The second flower, Primrose, is an early spring flower, but if you’re lucky you can catch some species of it blooming just in time for February. Primroses come in many different colors and shapes such as purple, pink, yellow, white, red, and more. The shape of the flowers can be bell-shaped, stars, and snowflakes.

Famous Birthdays

February might be the shortest month, but it is not short of any famous birthdays. In February, you share a month of celebration and happiness with Harry Styles (Feb. 1), Shakira (Feb. 2), Rihanna (Feb. 20), and DSU’s very own Senior Editor and author of this article (me, Feb. 18). These talented, inspiring people remind the world that February is a small, but mighty season.

Astrology

The zodiac signs for February include the incredible Aquarius and Pisces. The majority of February falls under the Aquarius sign (Jan. 20 – Feb. 18), leaving a special few at the end of the month to be Pisces (Feb. 19 – March 20). Fun fact, despite having the word “aqua” in the name, Aquarius is actually an air sign, while Pisces is a water sign.

As an Aquarius, you can expect to be creative, intellectual, and independent. This makes sense as Aquarius is ruled by the planet Uranus, a planet of liberation and freedom. Aquarians possess a unique blend of intellect and creativity that make them great problem solvers. Above all else, Aquarians value their freedom.

Pisces are a water sign, accordingly represented by two fish. These fish represent the two worlds of fantasy and reality that Pisces tend to live in. They are empathetic and compassionate people who won’t let you down. Pisces are often drawn towards creative outlets in order to express their vast imagination.

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.