Surviving Winter 101: Affordable Skin Care Regimen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

As fall comes to an end, we begin preparing ourselves for many things, including the weather. We start pulling out sweaters and boots from the attic and watch snow fall to put us in the spirit. However, one of the most important things (especially as African American women) we over look in the changing seasons is our skin! 

During the winter season, many African American women typically endure an intense dryness of skin after facing brutal winds and coldness of. Just as we protect our bodies from colds and illnesses, we should do the same for our skin. Skincare is very important to a daily routine but sometimes there is no time to go through several steps. Between running from class to class, to clubs, to work, and the other countless things that college students have to do, it’s hard to incorporate skincare into our tightly packed schedules.

Below, is a list of easy steps that can make maintaining a skin care routine fairly easy. Depending on the type of skin one may have such as oily, dry, or combination, products may vary. Only taking between 5 to 10 minutes, this skincare regimen will leave one’s skin glowing and flawless. 

• To begin it is important to use a facial cleanser. This will remove all the impurities from overnight or from a long day of wearing makeup. 
    • One product to use is Shea Moistures African Black Soap Facial Scrub. Available at local drug-stores for only $10. Another good product to use for cleansing is the Neutrogena’s Pink Grapefruit Oil Free Acne Wash. At local drug stores this product sales for $10 to $12.

• After cleansing, then follow up with a toner. This will eliminate any excess shine and minimizes sebum production from your pores.
    • Dickerson’s Witch Hazel is a great toner for just $3 to $4 from any local drug store

• Once done with the toner, go in with a facial hydrating spray. Adding moisture to the skin, a facial spray can be used as a great moisturizer.   
    • One inexpensive product is the Mario Badescu Facial Spray for $7 at any local beauty supply store.

• Lastly after applying the facial hydrating spray, then apply a moisturizing lotion to help add back moisture and avoid dryness. 100% Natrual African Shea Butter is a great moisturizing lotion available at any local beauty supply store for $7

Another recommended way to hydrate and moisturize the skin is to use some type of facial mask aimed at your skin type. There are hydrating, purifying, cleansing, polishing, elasticity, and nutritional masks that can be used every other day, or before going to sleep. It is also important to drink plenty of water, as water can make the skin appear bouncy and elastic. Making sure our skin is hydrated in the winter is essential because it tends to dry out and suffer from the changing temperature. Our skin, like leaves in the winter, will crumple up. The skin we have will continue to be the skin we live in for the rest of our lives. Let us respect and cherish it!

A 18 year old Mass Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations at Delaware State University. I am interested in pursuing professional opportunities in advertising, brand marketing or public relations; focused, determined and open to gaining a variety of experiences to develop the necessary skills to be competitive and add value to a organization.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!