Style > Beauty

To Subscribe or Not to? Are subscription boxes worth your coins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Subscription boxes have gained traction the last few years. Literally everything has turned into a subscription. Everything from CurlBox, which allows you try 4 or more products for $20 / month, to BarkBox, which gives you $40 worth of dog products for just $22 / box. Subscription boxes allow you try a variety of products for a low fee. Often you have the choice to subscribe each month or whenever the month feels right. With all these great things in subscription boxes, are they really even worth your money? Here’s a few pros and cons before you consider checking out the box.

PROS:

1. You get to check out new products for the low
    • Boxes like CurlKit and CurlBox allow you the opportunity to try full size products but for $20 a month. That saves a ton of money since one natural hair product alone could potentially cost you $10 – $30, depending on the brand. You can try different products and not have to worry about them breaking your pockets. Just make sure you have extra room on your shelf though.
  2. The boxes are extremely convenient
    • These boxes come straight to your home and therefore you don’t have to rush to the store when you run out. Also, more products for the low again. Need I say more?

CONS:

1. It can be difficult to get out of your subscription
    • Some subscription box users have reported that they will cancel and still get charged for the next month. It’s important to read the fine print. If an extra charge should occur, contact the company immediately.
  2. There might be an issue with returning it
    • While some subscription services will allow you to return the items you want, not every service is like that. Some make it easy while others make the process long and difficult. The process of returning an item that you ordered online can be a hassle.

VERDICT:

Subscription boxes are awesome idea. They allow you to try products for the low. However, like with any other purchase, it’s important to read the fine print.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!