Sophomore Spotlight: Ms. Kayla Henderson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Freshman and sophomore year are two crucial years in college years. Kayla Henderson is a sophomore and a mass communication major who is taking DSU by a storm and making sure she makes her mark on this school. The activities that Henderson is a part of is Radio personality for WDSU Radio, Miss Bold and Beautiful and is currently the president of “The Curve”. Many sophomores feel as if it may be too soon to get involved and are more likely to wait until their senior year to participate. However, Henderson explains that being involved is key in a field such as mass communication.

The idea of setting goals is important for every student which motivates them to conquer the goals that they set.  When asked what to you what to accomplish with your major, Henderson said “With my major I want to accomplish my short term goals such as internships and making connections with people in the industry. Eventually I will accomplish my long term goal of becoming a part of the industry as well, whether it be as a executive producer or radio personality”. Henderson shows the right example of using the skills that she learned in class to pursue her dream of being a radio personality. She explained how DSU and the mass communication department have helped her start her radio show as well as giving her a great platform to express herself.

“With my major, I want to become a radio personality for well known radio stations such as Power99 and Kiss Radio. I also want to produce my own shows on television and radio” Henderson said. Her advice to freshman and her fellow hornets is too pick a major that you are passionate about. “Don’t be afraid to get out your room and be good mixy, make friends in your major who have similar goals as you and go out for things together. It makes it a lot easier to go with someone else but even if you’re alone you will eventually meet other people. It’s all about connections.”

Henderson is a sophomore taking charge and using her resources within mass communication to stay involved. Freshman and sophomores need to follow her lead and begin to set goals for themselves to help them become more determine to succeed.  

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.