Wellness

Self-Care Tips for Black Male College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Being a young black man in 2023 can entail you doing a lot for other people. You may be experiencing a lot of mounting pressure going through school. The expectations you may face being a black man in a world that seems to hate us can be overbearing. To take on what the world has in store,  you first need to take care of yourself. Self-care is one of the best ways to make sure you are looking and feeling your best. We’ll dive into a couple of ways to enhance your life and make sure you are at the top of your game. 

The first tip is to find a cologne that fits you. 

Smelling good is key to making sure you are feeling amazing. Smelling good can do a lot of things for you, the first is that it gives you confidence. You know you smell amazing, and it is a key sign that you care about your body. It makes that first impression before you talk to anybody. It has been proven that smelling good can reduce stress, and once you are living a stress-free life becomes a little more manageable. You are able to clearly make decisions without stress and negativity in the back of your mind  

The second tip is to disconnect from social media. 

In 2023 social media has become a hotbed of fantasies, jealousies, and high expectations. Not a day goes by on social media where black men aren’t told how to live their lives. The phrase “As a Black Man” is a key term that has been used to add additional expectations to a black man’s already scrutinized life. 

Disconnecting allows you to live your life for you. The only expectations you have are the ones that you allow. The internet is not real, the successful people that you see will only cause you to look for shortcuts when your goal is going to be reached through hard work and patience.

According to Parade, disconnecting from social media prioritizes mental health as it allows you to sleep better, be more productive and increase your confidence. It may seem intimidating at first, but the benefits are worth it. 

The last tip is just to go to the doctor. 

I am guilty of avoiding the doctors, but I learned that a lot of black men age poorly health-wise because they miss checkups. I did not do yearly check-ups either because I always thought that because I felt fine, I must be fine. But there are things that you cannot always feel and it is better to be safe than sorry. Just confirming that everything is alright in your body can lift a humongous weight off your shoulders and allow you to live life more freely. 

These are just a couple of tips that will help you get started on the journey of bettering yourself. Though it may seem selfish you should always look out for your best interests; being a black man is a blessing. Even though America has beat unfair standards into our heads we have a choice as to whether we want to follow them. 

Start with these tips and you’ll feel better which will cause you to be better than you already are. 

Hi, My name is JaAire. I am a General Member of Delaware State's Hercampus chapter. I am currently a senior majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I love to write, which is why I found myself here as an author. But when I am not writing I am reading, listening to music, or hanging out with friends. This chapter of my life feels like the beginning of something new so I am going to make the most of it.