Roster Dating: What is it and why you need one

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The process of roster dating isn’t new but the term is. Having a roster when dating is simple. It involves multiple people you probably are attracted to. However, when you have a roster you’re more likely to not get too attached to fast. This is because you have options and are looking things objectively, hopefully. By now we’ve all seen the cuffing season “schedule” meme.

From August 1 – November 30 you should’ve been building your roster and slowly cutting it down until you were settled on one person. Now, your roster can constantly change because after all we do occasionally become less attracted to people and often people don’t live up to our expectations. Men have a roster 24/7, 365 days of the year. Unless they’re dating someone they’re more than likely talking to multiple girls at a time. Dating experts have found that its best if women, at any age, also have a roster of people they’re seeing.

The term roster dating is becoming so popular that even apps have been created to help you out. An app such as Bracket dating helps you to build your roster. On Bracket Dating, dating gets turned into a tournament. You essentially build your roster, or bracket in this case, and they have challenges. The ultimate winner will have messaging capabilities unlocked with you. No matter if you’re doing it on an app, or in person, your roster can consist of different people you enjoy talking to and hanging out with. During this period, you’re able to see what you do want and don’t want in a significant other. Here’s a few people you might consider putting on your roster.

The one who picks your brain

This person challenges the way you think. They aren’t afraid to exchange ideas with you. This is the person you spend all hours of the day, or night, on the phone with talking about a variety of subjects. Everything from if aliens actually exist to helping you get your after graduation plans together is on the table for discussion. We all want someone that is socially and culturally aware of the world.

The creative one

Pictured: Artist Derrick Adams

This person loves to take you to live shows or art galleries. They also don’t mind sitting with you while you read your favorite book. Everyone has a creative side to them and this person will love your creative nature. They’ll encourage you to go after those things.

The nice one

This is the person that sends you those “Good Morning beautiful” texts that we all love to receive. They care about how your classes went, how work is going, etc. This tends to be the person we friend zone because they’re too nice. This is the person that you keep around, even if it doesn’t turn into a relationship, because they’re positive and love to see you succeed.

After all is said and done, you deserve to be happy! You can eliminate whoever and whenever and not have to worry about it at all. You won’t be hung up on why it didn’t work it out because you have options. Even if you aren’t looking to date, you can even consider meeting these people to increase your friendship circle. You can never have too many friends.

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.