Relationships in College ARE Possible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Relationships in College ARE Possible

By Shelynn Handy

For whatever reason, people like to think real relationships in college are almost impossible or super hard to maintain. While this may be true for some, I am living proof that it is doable, and it doesn’t have to stress you out.

My boyfriend and I met in high school and have been together for a little over three years and I am in the middle of my third year of college. Usually when I mention this I get a little side eye, or an “Oooh wow” so I’d like to say again that it is certainly possible. The first year was a little rough but that’s because I went to school 400 miles away before I transferred to Delaware State University, and everything after that has been smooth sailing.

I know what works for us won’t necessarily make sense for other people in relationships, but it doesn’t hurt to share the very limited things that I do know from experience.

The first thing would be that it is important to give each other space when it is needed. College is hard enough, so we try to make sure that we don’t add to the stress. If he needs space to study, go to the gym, or just chill then I give it to him and he does the same for me.

The second thing would be to just have fun. We can have fun together and we can have fun apart. We are both still young and in college, so we want to make sure that we are both (respectfully) making the most of it. So basically, we still party.

These two things on top of being understanding and placing rules on what is acceptable and unacceptable are what works for me and my boyfriend, and maybe these things could work for someone else. Overall, I would just say don’t fear relationships in college out of fear of failure and just find what works for you.  

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.