This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

In the United States, racism within housing makes it difficult for minorities to achieve equal housing opportunities This is because country housing discrimination is of concern for minorities. This makes it hard for minorities to achieve homeownership. This is due to minority applicants being denied access to entitled service that would help them purchased housing units. These services would be present in the form of loans or housing assistance. The denial of these services leads to the disparity in the rates of Caucasian and minority homeowners.

This disparity can be traced back to the discriminatory practices by tenants and banks. In some cases, tenants will deny a protentional minority homeowners’ application without reason. The lack of justification in these cases makes it seem as though a tenant is looking for a specific type of person to inhabit the residence. In addition, minority homeowners face the challenge of acquiring a mortgage from banks. In some cases, they are denied good loan rates or simply turned down. This has a major impact on their ability to afford a house, as most individuals have taken out a mortgage. This should not be the case as equal housing opportunities should exist. 

I am Kaitlin Robinson a Chemistry major from Washington,DC. I’m fairly new to writing but I hope you enjoy my articles.