This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

YouTube has truly come a long way. It has grown from being a streaming service to now actually providing a form of employment and a source of steady income for people. Those people are called YouTubers or  YouTube celebrities. YouTubers gain popularity from posting videos on YouTube. There are minimal requirements and points of eligibility to become a YouTuber which is why it is very common that more and more people are becoming YouTubers. To become a YouTuber you really just need a camera and yourself. However, if you want to increase the quality of your videos you can buy professional equipment like a camcorder, external mic, ring light and editing software like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro CC. There are pros and cons to being a YouTuber, but depending on how passionate you are about it one can outweigh the other. Let’s weigh the pros and cons of becoming a YouTuber.

Pros

1. Be your own boss 

You get to work on your own time basically whenever and wherever you want. In addition to that,  you have control of the content you want to make and produce.

1. No degree necessary

Being a YouTuber requires no degree or form of training as most jobs do.

1. Creative outlet 

Being a YouTuber gives you an opportunity to express yourself and your passions.

1. Earn money

Depending on your consistency and number of subscribers you can earn a good amount of money from being a YouTuber. When you are first starting out you may not make much; however, as your channel grows and you start attain more views on your videos you will earn more.

Cons: 

1. Consistency 

As you continue to gain popularity your subscribers will expect you to upload more frequently.

1. It takes time

Developing an active and loyal audience of thousands, hundreds, and even millions of subscribers may take time. It doesn’t always happen overnight. 

1. Being creative 

Coming up with different ideas and themes for your videos can be quite hard and challenging at times. You have to think outside of the box to keep your subscribers engaged and active.

1. Lack of privacy 

The decision to put yourself online comes with consequences. Always be smart about what you post and make sure you keep in mind how you are going to handle your personal business.

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!