This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Project Power is a Netflix Original movie starring Dominique Fishback, Jamie Foxx, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The story follows a dad who is trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter, who is being used for experiments. Her dad Art who is played by Jamie Foxx received the pill that gives takers powers. This power was unknowingly transferred to his daughter, which leads the scientist to take her as it is the first case of this. With the help of Frank (Joseph- Gordon-Levitt), and Robin ( Dominique Fishback), Art is able to rescue his daughter.

PROJECT POWER When a pill that gives its users unpredictable superpowers for five minutes hits the streets of New Orleans, a teenage dealer and a local cop must team with an ex-soldier to take down the group responsible for its creation. @projectpowernetflix @iamjamiefoxx @joesy_pelican @domfishback @yoshi_sudarso @maldonadoiseverywhere @jimdklock @caseyneistat @amylandecker @machinegunkelly @hitrecordjoe @khanazharofficial @courtneybvance @rodrigosantoro @netflixsa @strongblacklead @netflix @netflixfilm #projectpowernetflix #projectpower 14 AUGUST 2020 GET READY If you could gain incredible super-powers for five minutes simply by popping a pill, would you do it? I think it’s safe to say that most of us would jump at the chance; after all, who hasn’t dreamed of being able to fly, to turn invisible, or to be able to answer the phone when an unknown number pops up, but what if there was a chance that the pill could kill you instead? Well, that’s the core of PROJECT POWER, an upcoming Netflix film which is equal parts crime thriller, action thriller, and comic-book style fantasy.

A post shared by PROJECT POWER (@projectpowernetflix) on Aug 9, 2020 at 4:44am PDT

Not your Conventional “Superpower” Movie

In most movies in which characters have superpowers, these powers are gained through a failed experiment or they are born with them. In this movie, individuals gain temporary powers by taking a pill. These powers only last for five minutes, with the powers given being totally random. This makes the movie interesting as you never know what power the taker will end up with. Through the course of the movie, some gained the ability to become, invisible, bulletproof, and super strong. 

The Movie Starts Off Slow

At the beginning of the movie, the focus is on developing the storyline of Art, Frank, and Robin. This is to introduce viewers to how these three characters are intertwined. We are introduced to Frank who is using Robin a drug dealer as his criminal informant. Frank is trying to undercover who is behind the distribution of “power”, which leads him back to Art. Whom Frank is told is the center of the project known as power.  While this information aids with plot development, it leaves the viewer with a sense of unfulfillment. Typically, in these types of movies, we are looking for a movie that is action-packed throughout. However, in Project Power, only the second part of the movie is action-packed. 

Final Thoughts

Overall, I would give this movie a rating of 8 because I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I watched this movie, I watched it over the course of a few days. It was not one of those movies that captured my attention and left me feeling like I must finish this asap. It was sort of a place holder for me, as something to watch while on my work breaks during the summer. I would recommend this movie to individuals who are unsure about what movie to watch next. 

I am Kaitlin Robinson a Chemistry major from Washington,DC. I’m fairly new to writing but I hope you enjoy my articles.