Positive Depictions of Black Love In the Media 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

by: Anaya Balkcom

Love is an emotion that should always be met with excitement and celebration. Over time, society has depicted a number of actions as expressions of love. However, it is becoming more difficult to find media that portrays love in its most unconditional and unwavering state. Especially when discussing black love.

As time goes on, it might be difficult to recall when the last time true unconditional black love was showcased. Whether it is love shared between friends, family, or romantic partners, black love is a love that should be celebrated and admired.

With that being said I have compiled a list of tv shows and movies that highlight black love in its multi-facets. While films like this can be viewed by the audience as entertaining, we must make sure that we are deliberate about the media we are consuming. Media, whether it is through television or movies, can influence the way people view a race. 

Many of these shows are a part of our black community and played a pivotal role in the history of our culture. 

As a black community we must remain intentional about the programs we produce because it ultimately influences our culture.

Tv Shows

1. Living Single Aired in 1993, Living Single is a Black Sitcom that features six friends living in an apartment located in Brooklyn, New York. In this show we are not only exposed to black love and how it appears in friendship but also how it shows up romantically. Through laughs and light-hearted comedy we are able to see and celebrate black love in its most unapologetic form. Whether you’re rooting for Overton and Sinclaire or Max and Kyle you can never go wrong with this timeless classic that promotes positive examples of black love. Living single can be streamed on Hulu and Max. 

2. Family Matters

Family Matters follows a Black multi-generational household and their day to day lifestyle. In this beloved sitcom we get the chance to not only see black love in terms of romance, but also through life lessons learned with family. At times, black families tend to be depicted as dysfunctional, which is why Family Matters is so important. In the show the writers address pressing topics and situations that black families face. Family Matters features a black family that is always there for each other regardless of their disagreements which, in the end, is what love is truly about. Family Matters is available for streaming on Hulu and Max. 

3. Insecure

Insecure was one of HBO’s leading tv shows that showcased an African-American woman’s life in her 30s. The show depicted realistic black representation of what one might go through in friendships and finding love. It had different depictions of black culture within it by highlighting various portals of friendships, relationships, and job encounters. Throughout the tv show, love was the foundation that kept the friendships and relationships growing. Insecure is available for streaming on Netflix, Max, and Hulu among other streaming platforms.

Movies

1. The Photograph

Starring Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield, The Photograph tells a story of love and how it was received in two different generations. In this movie we watch how our main characters approach love and how their backgrounds have influenced them. The Photograph provides us with an accurate  portrayal of love and what it means to be vulnerable for the sake of love. Films like this will always remain a classic because it evokes emotion from the audience and makes you question how past experiences affect the way you love others. The Photograph is available for streaming on Peacock.

2. Love Jones

Filmed in the backdrop of 1997 Chicago, we follow Nina and Darius, two individuals who formed an instant connection after a chance encounter. Nina must now decide if she would like to take a chance on a new beginning or return to the love she once knew. Love Jones provides us with an accurate picture of falling in love, while questioning if it’s truly love. Throughout this movie, we follow Nina and Darius as they sort out their feelings for one another hoping to reach a conclusion. Love Jones is available for streaming on Max and Amazon Prime Video. 

3. Love & Basketball

Love & Basketball follows the story of two childhood friends that grew up with a love for basketball that turned into a love for one another. Love & Basketball is a fan favorite because it provides the audience with an accurate representation of how our familial backgrounds can affect the way we treat others. Regardless of the hardships and changes they both endured, the one thing that remained central in their lives was basketball. Love & Basketball is available for streaming on Pluto Tv.

As a black community it is important that we create and demand more positive representation in the media. Not only is our portrayal in the media important, but the people who portray us as well. 

Black writers such as Issa Rae and Gina Prince-Bythewood are a few of the many talented black writers that strive to create a space that allows us to showcase a true depiction of our life. 

Diversity within the media, whether it is in front of the screen or behind it, matters because it allows the world to see us for who we are.

Black Writers have the ability and the opportunity to portray the black community and culture in a light that we as a community can relate to.

Anaya Balkcom is a current sophomore attending Delaware State University, and pursuing a degree in Mass Communications with a concentration in Convergence Journalism. Prior to attending Delaware State University, Anaya graduated from The Ursuline High School where she was a member of the Female Empowering Voices Program. During this time Anaya was selected to represent her school in a CBS news special on the topic of New Rochelle Students inspired by Vice President Kamala Harris. It was at this time Anaya discovered her true passion found in the area of Mass Communications. From there, in Anaya’s senior year of high school, she explored different avenues in Mass Communication through an internship BronxNet Open 2.0 with BronxNet TV Station. During this internship Anaya created, hosted, edited, and programmed feature segments. Through this she gained exposure to the world of television and film. Upon entry into DSU, Anaya became a member of the campus radio station and composed articles for the campus newspaper. You can also find Anaya’s latest work in the media on Spotify, under the podcast titled “All in With Anaya Morgan.”