Out With The Old, In With The New

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The Mass Communication department has been going through many changes within its department. A few changes are 2 new professors that have joined Delaware State University.

Ms. Renee Marine, Assistant Professor, has worked in the television industry for over 20 years, and her awards includes an Emmy. When asked how it is from working in television to now becoming a professor, she explained that she is now doing something she always wanted to do – teach.

“I found a job I thoroughly enjoy, I love interacting with the students, I love watching when they have that YES moment. When you have a class of 20 kids and for the most part all 20 are showing up each week because they really want to be there” said Marine.

When asked about changes made this semester from the last, Marine replied she was a rookie and was trying to go by different teachers notes to stay on the curriculum. However, this semester she has made a lot of changes of her own, incorporating her own movies and styles.

Jalen Peterson is a senior with a T.V/Radio/Film concentration and has had Ms. Marine for Television Production I. “The way she communicates and interacts with us, really shows how caring she is. It feels good to have a professor who actually cares,”

“My goal is to continue to reach as many students as I can. When I got my master’s degree my main focus was to be able to teach someday, and be able to reach at least one student. If I impacted their life in any way possible, that’s the goal.”

Ms. Chalisa Edelin, JD, Adjunct, is a Director of the Criminal Justice Master’s program at Wesley College and was previously an appellate attorney. Edelin is dedicated in making sure that her students know what they need to know about law.  

“I also teach at two other schools that are predominantly white, and working here at a HBCU the philosophy of the school is different, and the questions is different. I get to teach law at a different perspective” Edelin said.

Being a new professor at a new school can be challenging. Things such as different students, environment and settling in can be difficult to handle. After getting through one semester, these amazing professors show how committed they are in applying the right knowledge to their students.

“Still experimenting with things, I just read about a class assignment a professor wrote about and worked out great for my class. I’m always learning and trying new things,” said Edelin. “Every semester my goal is to make sure the majority of the students know the foundational legal rules that they need to know in the workplace. My goal is to make sense when you go into the workplace that you has a basic knowledge of law.”

“She makes law really interesting, and it’s really cool that she had a career in law as an attorney,” said Kasai Davenport, a junior with a PR concentration. “It’s never a boring class, because she uses video clips and stories to keep us engaged,”  

The students in Mass Communication greatly appreciate the change of new inspiring professors who want to teach and are driven to lead us all to success.  

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.