This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Opposing the Norm of the “YouTuber”

As I scrolled through my instagram and social medias, I noticed how many youtubers shape their images to a specific way.  Majority of their pictures look professional, filtered, and planned ahead. There are some youtubers who do everything independently, which is definitely tough.  Therefore, I have attempted to follow their lead as an experiment and this is what I resulted from the experience.

I am a small youtuber and I do everything on my own, I had attempted to take photos like some of my idols; Alisha Marie, Tess Christine, and MyLifeAsEva.  That was actually tough since you have to use the timer on the camera and do multiple pictures. Trying to have a specific theme or look seems like something you have to do as an influencer.  Therefore, I have started posting photos that are realistic and that others would not post. From cleaning and doing household chores to anything else really. I have been able to post more comfortably and I know it’s not the norm, but who wants to be normal?

Overall, doing this “experiment” had given myself an eye opening experience.  It has helped me acknowledge that my platform does not have to be like everyone and it fits who I am.  I have posted exercising pictures, chores, internship experiences, travel, and more. I can post content to related to my platform of being a lifestyle vlogger, on my normal channel I post videos from travel vlogs to fashion and music talks.  A few challenges and just a variety of different videos. Therefore, I believe I can be more free spirited and am going to continue opposing the norm.

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history! 
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!