This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The New Year

By Shelynn Handy

I’m not really a New Year’s resolution type of person, but as the year comes to a close I can’t help but to reflect on my year. This happens to me every single year and I always think about the things that I could have or should have done differently but I never actually change anything in the year to come.

This upcoming year I want to do things differently.

1. I want to focus on the good things that happen in my life. Sometimes I focus so much on the bad things in my life that I often overlook my blessings. So yes it was an excruciating day at work, but at least I’m blessed to have a job that makes me feel important.
  2. I want to do more things that genuinely make me happy. I feel like I’ve been doing things routinely or out  of obligation and none of it seems enjoyable anymore. So I want to get back to things like painting and going on walks to help boost my mood daily.

I don’t want to make a list that’s too ambitious, but I think I’ll see a lot of change in multiple areas of my life if I start with these two things.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!