My Favorite Trend on TikTok: Us In Another Universe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Your friend sends you a cute TikTok video of two animals happily enjoying their time together, and it reads “us in another universe,” with vibrant music. She adds the comment “us” with a smile, and suddenly your day just got that much better.
    Recently a new trend emerged on TikTok that features the cutest clips of animals, people, and sometimes even inanimate objects in pairs to signify the love people have for one another. So much so, that they want it to be shared across every universe possible. It is a kind gesture that you can send to your significant other, but also works perfectly to be sent to a friend, sister, brother, or anyone you see fit. Shoutout to all the single people out there.
    This is probably my favorite thing I’ve seen on this app in a while, and I make sure to like every single one. I’ve come across cats walking together, tails intertwined; cows grazing together; and even an odd, yet sweet, picture of two french fries at the bottom of a bag.

I think this trend is the epitome of a loving friendship. You know you’ve got a good thing going on when your best friend chooses you to be in every universe with them. It’s sweet to think that you’ll always find your friend in every life. There is not a single timeframe where their soul does not find yours. It’s also a fun escape to fantasize about. Instead of doing homework and going to lectures every day, wouldn’t it be nice to have been born a dog playing alongside your friends? (That might sound a little crazy, but I do think of that from time to time.)
    The multiverse is an ongoing theory that suggests that beyond our own universe, there are several, maybe even hundreds, or an infinite amount, of different universes that all come together in a set. This set being the multiverse. Another popular term is a parallel universe that features you and everyone you know, but slightly different. Nevertheless, multiverses and parallel universes are just theories that scientists created and have been revamped and romanticized by sci-fi fans and people who love the mysteries of outer space.
    In a Forbes article titled, “Is The Multiverse Real? The Science Behind ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’” there is a deeper dive into the science behind parallel universes and their legitimacy. According to Geraint Lewis, a professor of Astrophysics, the multiverse “‘doesn’t really have a mathematical basis—it is a collection of ideas.’” A cool collection of ideas to think about, but mostly egged on by pop culture and the movie world.
    While there is no scientific evidence of the multiverse, that does not mean we should stop sharing our favorite 7-second clips with friends and family. It is a minuscule, yet thoughtful way of showing your appreciation for one another. And who knows? Maybe your friend will go on to prove the existence of a parallel universe. Or maybe it’s been proven in the universe where you are both birds fluttering about one another. The possibilities are endless.

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.