This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Multitasking Beauty Products

We all love a good multitasking product. Seriously, why spend $40 together on multiple products when you get one product that does everything for a super low price? This list of products isn’t your standard lipliner that can also double as an eyeliner or eyebrow pencil. This list of products are products you can use for everything from washing your hands to washing your hair and can even be implemented into your skincare routine. More often than not, you might have some of these items in your house. However, if you have to buy a few of these, they wont cost you too much. Here’s a list of … products that can be use a variety of ways and can even be incorporated into your beauty routine.

1. Black Soap

When I first actually started caring about my skin, because for a while I didn’t, black soap was always mentioned. You can use it on your hair, your face, and even your body. It’s great for people with acne prone skin, but just about anyone can use it. Since I have dry skin, I don’t use it super often because it can be extremely drying. I usually use this mostly in warmer weather. I don’t use it in the winter because my skin can get extra dry and I don’t want to dry it out more.

*It’s important to remember that actual black soap isn’t black. Real, authentic, black soap is brown. So, no, Shea Moisture’s black soap is not real black soap. However, if it works for you, continue to use what works for your skin. *

Black soap can be purchased on Amazon and can start around $3.

1. Bentonite / Rhassoul Clay

Now these are two separate types of clay but for the purpose of this list I will combine them together since you can use them the same way. I first found out about bentonite clay in the natural hair community. As a type 4 natural, many naturalistas love using bentonite clay in their hair. I find that for my hair bentonite not only cleanses it but increases my curl definition. I use it abut once a month and have seen great results. Both of these clays can be applied to the hair, face, and body. I personally mix my bentonite clay with some good ole apple cider vinegar. One tip I’ve learned is that you should only mix these clays, even when mixing with water, with plastic everything. So only use plastic utensils and bowls. Something between the clays and metal doesn’t mix. People love to apply it as a face mask and have claimed to get results of clear skin.

You can get 1lb of bentonite clay for $2.95 at BulkApothecary.com. Rhassoul is slightly pricier. You can get 1lb of it for $8 on MountainRoseHerbs.com or if you just want to try it, 1oz will run you $1.25 over at BrambleBerry.com

1. Castile Soap

Castile soap is an olive oil based hard soap that originated in the Castile region of Spain, definitely adding it to my bucket list. Dr. Bronner’s Pure Liquid Castile Soap is probably the most popular brand of castile soap. There’s actually 18-in-1 uses for the soap. You can use this soap for everything from your skincare routine to your body, pets, and even your house, to list a few. Dr. Bronner’s castile soap comes in 8 scents and 7 sizes. It can run you between $3.19 for the 2 oz and goes up to $64 for an entire gallon. There a variety of castile soaps on the market now. So next time you’re in your local Target or Walmart, stop down the beauty aisle to see the castile soaps they have. You might be able to find one of equal quality but at a cheaper price.

1. Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is such a universal plant. A lot of naturals have been using aloe vera as a deep conditioner and have seen an increase in their curl definition and hair manageability. This plant is also great for treating sunburns, a moisturizer, and even an acne treatment. I personally love aloe vera because it’s super moisturizing. I use it on my face in the summer as a lightweight moisturizer and have personally been loving it. It’s too light for my face in the winter but perfect for summer usage. You can pick up an aloe leaf at your local grocery store or you can pick up an entire plant, like I did, at your local home depot or wherever they sell plants.

1. Apple Cider Vinegar

Good ole acv has multiple uses. Tons of companies have come out with acv hair rinses, which are actually pretty good. Apple cider vinegar is made from crushing and squeezing apples and then adding bacteria and yeast, which causes the liquid to ferment. Acv can be used to soothe and exfoliate your skin. To do this, you must dilute it with water. Acv may actually cause your skin to become inflamed because of how concentrated it is. So, no matter how you use it, dilute it all the time. You can even use it in your bathtub to help rebalance your skin. Acv is also great for relieving sunburn in the summertime. Acv is pretty cheap and you can pick it up anywhere. I personally love picking up the organic acv but you can use whatever you like. When it comes to my hair, I buy shampoos with acv already in it and use it when I feel like my scalp needs some extra cleaning, especially after protective styling.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!