Leaving Behind A Legacy : Kalea Phelps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Leaving Behind A Legacy : Kalea Phelps

By: Karisa Phelps

To make an impact on a campus is hard. To leave a legacy behind is even harder. But nothing can be most challenging than following in someone else’s footsteps. As a child only having 2 footsteps to follow rather than 4 is an obstacle by itself, but to overcome and overachieve people’s expectation is the greatest prize at the end of the struggles. Kalea Phelps was not only able to go through her own personal battles but she was able to triumph in her victory. As one of Delaware States Universities most recent notable alumni to graced the Hornet Campus, I have been watching her blossom into the woman she has become since I was born. To have a sister to do nothing but extraordinary things on this campus it makes me want to not only do better for my family, but for myself.

When sitting down with Kalea to discuss her career and educational achievements I began to ask her “ What made you choose Mass Communications as your major?”

‘I chose Mass Communications because I was naturally social…’ Phelps exclaimed ‘I knew sitting behind computers and typing numbers was never going to be my calling I loved to talk, ask questions and learn more about any and everything Mass Comm’ Trust me from personal experience I know she loves to have her voice heard. She was able to find her calling of leadership and charisma as she joined the Thurgood Marshall college fund where she found her future employer Inspira Marketing Group whom she still works with today. She was also able to build a bond with ‘The Family ‘ whom she was apart of the Student Government Association ( SGA ) as the Corresponding Secretary of the 2014-2015 academic school year.

Having the same major as my sister and attending the same university where she became one of the illustrious of course was nerve wracking  for myself. So many expectations, so many “You two look just alike” or “Little Kalea” that began to kill my confidence. But rather run away from the standards I should embrace it.”Having a younger in the same field as me is exciting! I feel a sense of pride for her choosing the same major I was successful in” Kalea began to explain “I know by her coming to the same college as me there would be hurdles and comparisons for her but Im glad and she’s been able to stand on her own two feet and make her mark at DSU.”

Kalea Phelps is more than just an alumni, she is my role model, my mentor and my sister all wrapped in one. She has helped my sister and myself become to women we are today. Her continuous growth and demeanor is the reason I want to continue with her footsteps. I want to carry on the Phelps legacy here at Delaware State and it it something I will continue to strive for until I achieve it.

Welcome to my page, where anything and everything will be discussed.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!