Janelle Ginestra’s Breathtaking Choreography to “ when the party’s over” by Billie Eilish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

YouTube constantly blesses me with unexpected findings of amazing content. I could be watching a hair tutorial one minute, and miraculously end up watching bloopers from movies the next. Yesterday morning while on YouTube I was watching a trailer for an upcoming movie when I scrolled down below the video. In my up next playlist, I saw a video titled “Billie Eilish When The Party’s Over |Janelle Ginestra”. Billie Eilish is an amazing artist and Janelle Ginestra is an amazing dancer, so I undoubtedly clicked on the video. Sheesh, I’m so glad that I did. Ginestra’s choreography to this song is breathtakingly beautiful. The song is about the darkness, and anger that can stem from a relationship, and how it affects the people in that relationship. Ginestra uses

the meaning behind the song, but also adds her own artistic spin to it. Her movements, variations, different levels, use of the space around her are so creative and intricate. However, what truly made this video beautiful was the vulnerability, and raw emotion put into the choreography. I didn’t see dancing. I saw real people telling real stories. Ginestra, and the other lovely talented dancers in the video, freestyle at the end of performing the choreography. Their freestyles gave me chills. They all became lost in the music, and let their bodies communicate what they were feeling. Dance is an unspoken language and form of storytelling that transcends the way we typically communicate, and goes further into conveying human emotion. This video exemplifies just that.

Watch the video by clicking on the link below.

https://youtu.be/9YNLVb7SJnc

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!