International Theme Parks To Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

There are so many theme parks located in the United States, but if you have the wanderlust urge and love theme parks then you should go to an international theme park!  They sound scary from the language barrier to change in money currency, but it is 110% worth it.  You get a sense of experiencing another country’s culture, escaping reality, and you could make a vacation out of it by also experiencing other attractions.  Here is a list of nine theme parks around the world to experience if you want to leave the United States and get a change of scenery.

Disneyland

If you like disney, animation, and magic then this is the park for you!  

Disneyland and Disneyworld is popular in the United States, but have you thought about going to one of their international parks to see their take on Disney?  There are four international Disneylands located in Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.  Each has their own merchandise, holiday celebrations, iconic castle, different park themes, and guest traditions.  Don’t fear the language barrier, there are many ways to get around in your native language.

Europa Park  

If you like fantasy, adventure, and Grimms Tales then this is the park for you!

Europa Park is located in Rust, where it is the largest theme park in Germany and the second most popular theme park resort in Europe.  It has thirteen roller coasters and is known for being the location of the Euro Dance Festival.  The themed areas include Adventureland, Wild West, Grimm’s Enchanted Forest, Minimoys Kingdom, and a variety of countries.  A couple of the countries include Austria, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Portugal, and Switzerland.  The park recently added the Rulantica water park and a themed hotel called “Krønasår.”  Throughout the summer there are a variety of events, their biggest ones include the Midsummer Party and Horror Nights. When the park is closed for winter break there is the Euro Dance Festival, Ladies Only Festival, Miss Germany Pageant, Dinner Theater, Science Days, and Cloudfest.

De Efteling Leisure Park  

If you like dark and grim, but romantic and nostalgic themed parks then this is the park for you!

De Efteling Leisure Park is located in Kaatsheuvel, it is one of the largest theme parks in the Netherlands, along with being one of the oldest theme parks in the world.  It used to be a nature park with a playground and a Fairytale Forest, that is now a full-sized theme park.  Catering to children and adults, known for its amusement rides and nostalgic themes.  The park has five themed areas or realms including Reizenrijk (Travel Realm), Marerijk (Fairy Realm), Ruigrijk (Adventure Realm), Anderrijk (Other Realm), and Fantasierijk (Fantasy Realm).  Each themed area does unique names and they each represent them.  Reizenrijk is known for its fast rides such as the Python which is a double-loop roller coaster.  Marerijk has the Fairy Tale Forest and the Fairies of the Droomvlucht. Anderrijk  has rides inspired by non-Western cultures, Reizenrijk has the Carnival Festival ride, which travels through several different ‘countries’. Lastly, Fantasierijk is known for the dark ride, Symbolica: Palace of Fantasy.  The theme park has a relationship with Disney theme parks, Disney had given a small statue to Efteling and there are rumors that Walt Disney was inspired from Efteling while building Disneyland.  Outside of the theme amusement park, you can enjoy the Efteling hotel, the Efteling hotel Loonsche Land, a theatre, a golf course, Villa Pardoes, and two holiday bridges (Efteling Bosrijk and Efteling Loonsche Land).  

PortAventura  

If you like water, ferrari’s, and experiencing different civilizations then this is the park for you!

PortAventura is located in Salou and Vila-seca, Tarragona, on the Costa Daurada in Catalonia, Spain.  It is the most visited theme park in Spain and the sixth most visited theme park in Europe.  PortAventura is an entertainment resort that was built around the PortAventura Park theme park.  The resort includes a second theme park, Ferrari Land, and PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park, along with five hotels, a convention center, and an RV park.  The park has one themed area based on Sesame Street and five theme areas based on a civilization which are Mediterrania, Far West, Mexico, China, and Polynesia. There are many rides that hold titles for being the tallest, fastest, most inversions, and more.  Not only is there always something to do, but there are seasonal events like summer nights, seasonal walkaround rides or shows, Halloween, and Christmas.

Dreamworld  

If you like to feel like a kid or want to experience Australia’s beach culture then this is the park for you!

Dreamworld is located in Coomera on Australia’s Gold Coast in Queensland, it is Australia’s biggest theme park with over forty rides and attractions.  There are several themed lands: Ocean Parade, DreamWorks Experience, ABC Kids World, Tiger Island, and Corroboree.  Each land has its own collection of rides, animal exhibits, shows, attractions, food outlets, and merchandise shops.  Some places to check out are Main Steet which is the entrance of the park and it has the Dreamworld Express and Dreamworld Cinema.   DreamWorks Experience where you can go into three areas that include Madagascar Madness, Shrek’s Faire Faire Away, and Kung Fu Panda: Land of Awesomeness.  It also has one of the park’s seven thrill rides called Pandemonium.  Tiger Island contains six Bengal tigers, six Sumatran tigers, and two cougars where you can watch them live, swim, and play.  Lastly, you have to visit Ocean Parade which is the largest themed area in Dreamworld and it features three of the seven thrill rides including The Claw, Tailspin, and Hot Wheels SideWinder.  You can also experience the Australian beach culture and rides such as Shockwave and Flow Rider.  Plus on several occasions during the year, Dreamworld remains open after dark. This event, known as Park After Dark, includes all of the thrill rides and children’s rides.

Lotte World  

If you like rides, the indoors, and adventure then this is the park for you!

Lotte World is located in Seoul, Korea and it is in a major recreation complex that is a part of the world’s largest indoor theme park.  There is also an outdoor amusement park called “Magic Island,” an artificial island inside a lake linked by monorail, shopping malls, a luxury hotel, a Korean folk museum, sports facilities, and movie theaters.  The “Adventure” part of the amusement park is divided into four main floors that are Adventure 1F: Underland, Adventure 2F, Adventure 3F, Adventure 4F, and Magic Island.  There are many rides and attractions a few include the Adventures of Sinbad which is a boat ride that travels through an underground waterway.  An interactive live show with a Beluga whale.  A water ride called Jungle Adventure, a Folk Museum, and Pharaoh’s Fury which is a multi-motion ride through ancient Egypt. There are also live shows that feature magicians and illusionists from Korea and other countries. 

Ferrari World  

If you like ferrari’s and indoor amusement parks then this is the park for you!

Ferrari World is located in the island of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. The amusement park is primarily indoors and it is the first Ferrari branded theme park.  The park also has the largest space frame structure ever built and the world’s faster roller coaster.  Ferrari World consists of five zones that include the Welcome Plaza, Family Zone, F1 Zone, Italian Zone, and Adventure Zone.  There are over thirty-seven rides, shows, attractions, and so much more!

Hopi Hari

If you like a variety of themes from superheroes to the wild west then this is the park for you!

Hopi Hari is located in Sao Paulo and it is the second largest amusement park in Brazil.  It is also a part of the tourist complex, SerrAzul Full Life.  SerrAzul Full Life includes a Wet ‘n Wild park, Shopping SerrAzul, the Premium Outlet shopping center, the Quality Resort Hotel and Itupeva SerrAzul Farm subdivision.  Hopi Hari is a fictitious country with a “president,” capital, national language, and etc.  It is divided into five themed areas that include Kamida, Mudi, Mistieri, Infantasia, Aribabiba, and Wild West.  One of the largest theaters is in Hopi Hari called Kaminda Mundi and a 3D cinema.  Plus you can attend some of their events that include Summer at Hopi Hari, Hopi Night, Magical Vacations, and Horror Time.  Below is a description of some of the themed areas:

– Mistieri (Mistery) features two roller coasters including Montezum and Vurang.  Montezum is the most popular attraction of the park and Vurang which is also the “Roller Coaster in the dark.”  

– Infantasia (Fantasyland) is geared for children and themed around the Looney Tunes characters.  You can go to attractions like the Kastel di Lendas where some Brazilian folk stories are told.  

– Aribabiba is the capital of the park with the Justice League theme, this area has a contract with Warner Bros DC Comics where heroes have been incorporated into the theme.  You can go on superhero themed rides such as Katapul- Superman Em Defesa da Central de Energia which is a Superman themed “weight drop” launch ride and Bat Hatari where you take a roller coaster through Gotham City.

– Wild West area is like the Old West with shows, presentations, and attractions.  Two attractions to check out is the Rio Bravo which is popular in this area and it simulates a raft in a river with rapids and waterfall, but beware you will get wet.  The second one is La Mina Del Joe Sacramento where visitors walk inside an abandoned mine where you encounter monsters, an elevator that descends, and etc.

Window of the World  

If you like to travel to famous sites, go on adventures, and learn about other cultures then this is the park for you!

Window of the World is located in Shenzhen, China.  It is a great theme park if you are unable to travel to famous sites, because it is all in this one theme park!  Known for its 130 reproductions in 118 acres, covering famous sites in Europe, Asia, Oceanic, North America, and Africa.  Some of the reproductions include the Eiffel Tower, The Great Pyramids, Taj Mahal, Niagara Falls, and the Sydney Opera House.  There are also many experiences in the park such as adventure trips from navigating the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon to going to the Archery Field to hunt prey like the North American Indians. Lastly, you can experience a variety of festivals, when in season, a few include Indian Culture Week, the Cherry Blossom festival, International Beer Festival (the biggest), Pop Music Festival, and the Chinese New Year.  Not only will you get visual, but you can take part in the festival traditions. 

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!