Lindsay Thompson-Miami Mirror Walls Vest Serious Stressed
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

I’m Not Like Other Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

We all went through the “I’m not like other girls” stage. I know that I definitely did, but I AM like other girls. I realized there is no us and them. Why was I trying to distance myself from the label girl? By saying, “ I’m not like other girls,” we are contributing to the narrative that there is something negative about being a woman or having “feminine” interests. 

When I was younger, I was often referred to as tomboy and I was praised for it. I was proud people saw me as one of the guys rather than one of the girls. I took it as a compliment, when in reality it really isn’t. I acted like I didn’t like the color pink, when I love pink, it’s one of my favorite colors. Why did I think I was cooler than other girls, because I understand sports? I thought that, because men told me that. Well, I’m not planning on living my life based on whether or not men approve of my interests and neither should other women. I won’t aid in belittling any women.

I started rejecting the idea that “I’m not like other girls” when I started developing a lot of female friendships. My female friendships mean the world to me and I wouldn’t be who I am today without those women. Each of these women have a variety of interests and skills that don’t put them in a specific box. 

One of my friends is really into makeup and clothes, but can also do math in their head quicker than anyone I know. Another friend makes dozens of cupcakes every Sunday, but will kick anyone’s ass at Call of Duty. I know a woman who’s interior design skills are so beautiful, but she also helped build the porch on the side of the house. All these skills are seen as either feminine or masculine and therefore positive or negative. Women are not just one thing. Women are funny, smart, creative, and just as valuable as men. Our opinions and ideas are just as interesting and insightful in a skirt with a face full of makeup than they would be in pants and no makeup. 

My Name is Brittany Inglis, I am a junior at Delaware State University majoring in Mass Communications: Digital Media & Journalism. I am the kind of person who gets excited about new information. I love to learn new things and in turn share those things with others. I have a variety of interests that I am passionate about ranging from politics to film to fashion, which is why I’m pursing a career in communications. Media allows the level of creativity and freedom I want to be able to pursue projects on multiple subjects.
Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!