Wellness

Post-Homecoming Depression? 5 Tips on How to Stay Motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Savannah Smalley

Congratulations hornets, you survived midterms! Homecoming week was a successful way to let off steam, but it’s over now and while life may seem a little dry until the spring; I’m here to give everyone tips on how to stay in the right mindset for the second half of the semester.

1. Take breaks when needed

While school is important, your physical and mental health should be your number one priority. Get in the habit of taking responsible breaks every now and then. You deserve it queen. Some things I like to do include taking walks, hanging out with friends, resting, and of course TikTok breaks. Mental health days are starting to become more recognized for their importance. A mental health day does not mean you’re lazy. Every now and then, it is completely okay to sit and relax to get yourself in the right headspace. Taking a break from working will refresh your mind so that you can power through the rest of your responsibilities.

2. Create goals for yourself and review them regularly.

At the beginning of each semester create goals for yourself. With something to work towards, it will become easier to stay motivated. Some examples include passing all your classes, making it to class on time, or making new friends on campus. Get in the habit of making attainable goals and reviewing your progress on a regular basis. Whether it is a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, you should be holding yourself accountable. Don’t worry if you’re falling short of your goal. At the end of the day, if you tried your hardest and made progress, you still have a win to be proud of.

3. Get some sun.

Fall is here and that means the weather gets cooler, the leaves are changing colors, and the days are getting shorter. You might feel the urge to stay inside all day due to the cold (you and me both) but make it an effort to get some sunlight every day if possible. It might seem a little funny, but the sun can actually boost serotonin levels and aide in higher quality sleep. Seasonal depression can be a very real thing, but you don’t have to suffer when nature provided us with the sun.

4. Get involved on campus.

Just because homecoming came to an end doesn’t mean all the fun on campus is over. Plenty of orgs on campus host events for students. My personal favorite is game night; I’ll always be down for some Uno. One easy way to find events is by following different orgs on Instagram, and checking which events are open to all students. One step further would be joining an organization you’re interested in. There are plenty of clubs and organizations on campus that suits everyone’s interests. If there is a club you want to see, start one!

5. Reward yourself. 

It is crucial to remember to reward yourself for your hard work. Always give yourself a pat on the back when you deserve it, don’t wait for anyone else to do it for you. Rewarding yourself works as motivation and it simply makes you feel good. You can show yourself appreciation by buying something you’ve been wanting for a while, taking yourself on a trip, taking a break, or having a self-care day. Don’t forget positive affirmations either! Take a second to remind yourself that you are that girl, you are smart, and you are successful. Always be your biggest fan.

The biggest takeaway from this is to feel energized and keep the momentum going until finals. You got this! Keep your goal in mind, get yourself in the right headspace, continue to work hard, and you will prosper. We are at the midpoint of the semester, and winter break is just over the horizon, so don’t give up. Before you know it, Spring Fling will be here.

My name is Savannah Smalley, I am a freshman at Delaware State University, and I am majoring in Agriculture with a concentration in plant sciences, and a minor in environmental science. My goal is to become a successful botanist, and I will achieve that. I am a senior editor for my campus’s chapter of Her Campus. My hobbies include reading, writing, playing video games, growing plants, and playing sports. When I am not writing for Her Campus, I take part in other organizations at my school such as the alliance for minorities participation (AMP), minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and related sciences (MANNRS), and The environmental alliance (TEA). I’ve been writing my entire life through stories, essays, newspaper articles, and more as a way to express myself. I graduated high school with an award in creative writing, and I plan on continuing my writing journey through my college career.