How Rent Live Unexpectedly Became Rent Previously Recorded

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Fox’s anticipated production of the beloved musical Rent was scheduled to be broadcasted live this past Sunday; however, after one of the lead actors Brennin Hunt (playing Roger) broke his foot during Saturday night’s dress rehearsal, it was decided by producers to air pre-recorded footage from that rehearsal.  Rather than postpone the show entirely. Fortunately,  Hunt’s injury occurred in the final act at the near end of the musical. Thus, most of his scenes were filmed. The last scene of the final act was the only portion of the show that was broadcasted live. Everything else prior to the last scene was from the dress rehearsal. The cast and crew banded together to reconstruct the final scene to feature Hunt as well as the original Broadway cast of Rent. YAY!  Hunt was indeed featured with his foot in a boot holstered up on to a chair. Despite the unexpected situation,  Sunday’s live audience members were not left to watch the dress rehearsal on monitors.  Instead, the cast performed concert renditions of all songs.  These renditions were more carefree, fun, and audience interactive. Members of the live audience quickly took to social media to post pictures and videos. Some of which featured Hunt in a wheelchair performing his songs. Rent received mixed reviews generally due to the decision to air pre-taped footage rather than the live renditions. I do understand the frustrations with their decision, but you have to realize the logistics behind it. Rent is both vocally and physically demanding. Even if producers decided to let Hunt perform the whole show in a wheelchair,  it would’ve been extremely hard for him to adhere to quick scene transitions,  and fully commit to choreography and blocking of the show. If for instance, Hunt would have broken his foot perhaps a month prior to the airing of it, it is possible that it could have been reworked to suit his injury. Nonetheless, it still would have been difficult and time-consuming. I believe the decision to air the dress rehearsal was the wisest under the circumstances. Though it wasn’t “live”, we still were able to see the complete production as well as all of the hard work the cast and crew devoted to the show. The only thing we were robbed of was the ethereal energy of a live performance. There is something about knowing that you are in the same exact moment with the cast as they are performing that emits an indescribable energy that amplifies the show.  Some of the concert renditions have been uploaded onto Fox’s YouTube page. Hopefully, when the DVD of Rent Live is released both dress rehearsal and concert renditions will be included to give viewers both experiences.

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!