The History of Labor Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

With Labor Day right around the corner, I have come to the realization that I do not know the history behind this holiday. In all my time in school, this might be the first holiday that I did not learn about. Labor Day to me is the indication that summer is over, but it is more than that. So, here is a little summary, Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday in the month of September, it celebrates the U.S. labor movement. During the industrial revolution, in the United States people of all ages were working very long hours, in very bad conditions. Labor unions became more vocal about the conditions in which they had to work, forming strikes to protest their poor conditions. The strikes and protests lead their employers to renegotiate hours and pay. Even though it was years before there was any kind of change, the labor laws that came out of these protests affect the world today.

Hi, my name is Jamila Seidu and I am currently a student at Delaware State University and I am a kinesiology major. I love everything art and I'm not afraid to try something new, so here I am. I hope you enjoy.