This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Hip-Hop

By: Nadirah Livingston

I can’t quite remember my first-time hearing hip-hop, but I imagine it was the popular group The Fugees. With Wycliffe lyrics and Lauryn Hills sweet melody as she gave bar from bar. They told a story while allowing listeners to join in and sing along. It was the 90s and era of hip-hop that will forever go down in history. When it comes to hip-hop today often the only you need to have a hit song is a good beat. You can say the same thing over and over and still become a hit. One example could be the rapper Lil Pump who repeats the same words on his popular song “Gucci Gang” which peaked at number 3 on the billboard charts. Who would have thought that hip-hop would now come to this. Don’t get me wrong we are at fault for making rappers famous without exactly putting work in. I also believe that not every rap song has to be lyrical. I understand that sometimes we just want to dance to the music so lyrics don’t really matter. Maybe we should stop allowing artist to have a come up so fast that they don’t actually have to work for it. There should be a balance in the industry, and that’s what I’m not seeing. Not every song should sound alike and have to same bass. The songs began to sound repetitive and over saturated. As someone who loves hip- hop I just hope that it can go back to giving me that same feeling it once did.

Just a girl from Jersey with big dreams attending Delaware State University. I'm currently majoring in mass communications with a concentration in digital media. One day you'll see my name rolling in the credits but until then enjoy my articles.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!