Style > Beauty

Four Protective Hair Styles Every Natural Hair Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

1. Wigs/Units

Wigs are a great way to keep your hair away for periods at a time. While wearing a wig you are still able to manage and take care of your natural hair. It’s also a great way to change up your hairstyles multiple times while still saving money. Another great thing about wigs are you can keep them forever if you take care of them. Imagine having a bad hair day, all you have to do is grab an old wig and your set to go.

1. Box Braids

Box braids are also one of my favorite protective styles, I especially love them in the summer. Having box braids allows you to enjoy life without worrying about your hair. It’s also excellent with growth if you make sure to oil your scalp every night. You can have fun with box braids as well, you can get them long or short and have fun with colors. If your taking care of your braids it can last, you two to three months.

1. Bantu Knots

If you decide you would like to wear your hair out for the day this is the perfect hairstyle, if done the right way you should have bouncy curls. This style gives the hair volume and can make your hair look fuller. You can have fun with this hairdo as well by adding braids or twist to the front while leaving the rest of your hair out.

1. Faux Lox

Have you ever wanted dreads but never wanted to commit, while this is the hairstyle for you. This style also helps you to put you hair away for an extended amount of time, while making sure your natural hair is protected. Faux lox come in different sizes, colors and length. You can add jewelry to the style if you would like to add more character to the it.

Just a girl from Jersey with big dreams attending Delaware State University. I'm currently majoring in mass communications with a concentration in digital media. One day you'll see my name rolling in the credits but until then enjoy my articles.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!