This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Four Artists to Watch in 2019

By Amirah Johnson

These four artists have shaken up the music industry this year by leaving their marks with singles, EP’s and albums that prove they’re here for a long time, and not just a good time. These are four artists to look out for and listen to in 2019.

Saudin

Saudin is a Canadian artist with a diverse and refreshing sound. After being featured in Drake’s music video for “I’m Upset” the world went on a wild goose chase to find out who this man was. Saudin is a Degrassi alum; however, his music proves acting isn’t the only talent of his. He has released several singles and EP’s. His most recent EP “Nocturnal Nirvana” dropped in September of this year. He is expected to be going on tour and releasing new music in 2019.

Normani

This woman is truly something else. She is a multi-talented artist paving her own path and doing it on her own terms. Along with her soothing, powerful and dynamic voice, she is a wonderful dancer. This year she has been featured on songs with artists Khalid, Quavo, and Jessie Reyez. She also released two songs this past October titled “Checklist” and “Slow Down” with Calvin Harris and Wizkid. Her most recent single titled “Waves” featuring 6LACK was just released last month. She will be opening up for Ariana Grande in the North American leg of her Sweetener tour in Spring 2019. Her debut solo album is slated to be released sometime in 2019.

Summer Walker

Summer Walker has blown up the contemporary R&B scene this year with her debut album “Last Day of Summer”. “Girls Need Love”, “Deep”, and “CPR” are just a few gems from her debut album. Honest, vulnerable, passionate, and unique describe both Walker and music. 2019 is waiting for her.

Brent Faiyaz

Though he is most known for his vocals on the chorus of the song “Crew” by GoldLink, Faiyaz has been in the music scene for a minute. He is the frontman of Sonder a musical group comprised of him and producers Atu and Dpat. However, he has also produced solo music. His latest EP titled “Lost” recently dropped this year. His song “Insecure” was featured in an episode of Netflix’s original series “On My Block”. His “Sonder Son” tour is beginning early January 2019. Faiyaz’s music is a mixture of contemporary R&B, smooth soul, hip-hop and alternative sounds.

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!