This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Fake News for NYFW

By Shelynn Handy

New York fashion week is the time for designers to shine and make headlines. Designer Jeremy Scott decided to take that quite literally last week during NYFW.

Scott strayed away from his usual bold colors and fun looks for something a little more solemn and slightly political. His models were dressed in black in white pieces from trenches to tutus with bold fabricated headlines emblazoned across each article of clothing. Some of these read “PANIC”  or “Chaos” to mimic the type of news headlines we have all been seeing quite frequently the past couple of years.

For me, this made me think of how often we drown ourselves in news, both real and fake. Apparently the designer was thinking the same thing while drawing inspiration from society’s obsession with “salacious news, with false assumptions, with clickbait” and I definitely think this seems true for many of us.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!