DSU’s Live With The Hive : My Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

DSU’s Live at The Hive

On Thursday, March 23rd, WDSU Radio hosted their annual event “Live at The Hive” which featured DJ Breaz, performances, a rap battle, and the radio shows performing live and getting the audience involved. There were t-shirt, an Amazon giftcard, and Waffle House coupon giveaway, games sponsored by The Healthy Hornets, and mocktails as well as a pledge to make responsible decisions when drinking.

And here’s a rundown of the whole thing.

To kick things off, Live at The Hive started with a little session hosted by the various managers of the radio station which they called “The Managers Show.” 

They talked about different things, Spring Fling and who they would like the see perform, the names that were thrown out by various people were Migos and Tory Lanez, then the conversation drifted to what everyones plans were for after Spring Fling, beach weekend and su mmer vacation. But be careful if you plan to take any glamorous trips because Tameka Shockley, the radio stations Public Relations manager, announced “I’m telling FASFA on all of ya’ll”

Then they closed out by having a debate over whether you’re from wherever your born, wherever your family is from, or wherever you grew up. Some people said it’s wherever you graduated high school, personally I think it’s where you spent most of your childhood. If you moved somewhere your senior year, I wouldn’t exactly say that’s where you’re from.

After the Managers show, two performances followed. A rap and a poem both performed by DSU students, unfortunately I didn’t get the name of either the rapper or the poet. The poem was titled “The Passport Out The Hood” and was about a boy not glorifying a life in poverty, but to try and be better and more than what’s expected of them.

Following the two performances, the first radio show, Living the Dream With Eddi and Karen, for the night hosted their live show. They explained what it meant to them to be a ‘dreamer’ and explained that they were apart of this group of undocumented immigrants. A lot of them were from the south, where they couldn’t go to college because they didn’t accept students who were undocumented immigrants so they took their time to thank DSU for allowing them to come and get an education, when before coming they really didn’t even know where DelState was. 

After the first radio show came on, there was a cypher (which if you don’t know is a rap battle). Everyone participating got two chances, some requested different instrumentals because they didn’t exactly feel the music they were given wasn’t the right fit for them. I regret not catching the names of everyone who competed, but in the end the only female who is actually a DSU alumni won. If I remember right, she was the only one who didn’t ask for a second chance or different song, and at one point the host grabbed her because her lyrics were getting a little too heated and the crowd at the event chose her as the best. 

Next was the second live show of the night, Unscripted. The point of the show is to choose a topic and then get both male and female opinion on the subject. The issues discussed were:

Who cheats more, males or females? There was never a definitive answer, but one of the guest show host stated that “women cheat better” while another said “women get attached when cheating but for guys it’s just sex.” 

Next was, What do you do if you cheat on a partner and get an STD or STI, do you tell them or no, and if you do, how do you tell them? The host of the show through out a statistic that shocked the entire MLK when she said “60% of students on DSUs campus have an STD,” so if you’re hooking up with someone you don’t really know that well, you should grab a fre e condom from the health center or your dorm advisors. Someone actually said they would keep it to themselves unless they broke up with their significant other and mention they should get tested. 

The last thing that everyone debated over was who gets the most “hoes” on campus, SGA and the Royal Court, the athletes, or the greeks? The crowd seemed divided but people were torn between SGA and the athletes. The argument for the SGA was that they’re the face of the school, everyone knows them, and they’re the first people all the freshman see when they come during summer for orientation, the argument for the athletes was that “they go after freshman because they can’t win anything else,” and since the freshmen are naive they go for them.

The night ended with a great performance by Limitless which was full of dancing, modeling, black girl magic and black boy joy.

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.