Doing Eyebrows With Nair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Doing Eyebrows With Nair

I have a beauty hack for you.

I’d for sure say that eyebrows are like a staple in most beauty routines. A lot of people don’t care about makeup as long as their eyebrows are done, which makes sense because they frame your face.

I usually get my eyebrows waxed, and my wax history is just long and confusing. I felt like at first it was great, my eyebrows were the perfect thickness and had the perfect arch then one day… someone took that away from me. I was constantly going through phases where I just had to let them grow because the person who did them removed more than I wanted, and it’s hard to groom your eyebrows when you’re letting them grow at the same time.

One day I wanted to get my eyebrows done, I think I had a concert or something coming up that weekend. I wasn’t sure I wanted to get them waxed, and I suddenly remembered a video I saw like five years ago with someone doing their eyebrows with Nair, so I watched a few videos and hopped in.

There’s facial Nair, and if you have sensitive skin I would suggest getting that and not just using regular Nair. It’s about $5, which an eyebrow waxing at my salon was $8 and I always tipped (even if they messed me up) so I already saved money, because this bottle of Nair would last me a while.

I tried this method and have used it every time I do my eyebrows since. This way, if your eyebrows get messed up, you can’t get mad at anyone else. Also, it’s not as scary as you would think, people always message me saying they’re too nervous, so I’ll go into detail.

Here’s what I do.

1. Clean the area around your eyebrows. You want the skin to be clear of anything and don’t want anything where you’re going to put the Nair. If I don’t wash my whole face, I use micellar water or witch hazel to wipe off the area.

1. Fill your eyebrows in. I usually fill them in with something really dark, last time I filled them in with purple eyeliner. You can fill them in sort of cartoonish, it doesn’t matter if they look crazy. you don’t even have to color them all the way in, just really define the outline of your eyebrow cause anything not inside the lines is where you’ll put the Nair.

1. I usually get a very small makeup brush that I don’t use anymore. You could use a Q-tip, but I like using a makeup brush because I feel like it’s more precise and gives me more control over what I’m doing. Now take a little Nair and you can try to build it up but put a thick amount around the outline you made of your eyebrow, like you would with concealer. If you get it somewhere you don’t want, don’t panic, just wipe it off with a Q-tip. And if you’re me, you also put some on your upper lip.

1. Just follow the directions on the bottle, I think it says about five or ten minutes, but not to do more than fifteen minutes. I usually leave it on a little longer than directed.

1. Wipe away, I usually use a wet washcloth. Don’t be afraid, when you wipe it won’t wipe your whole eyebrow away, only the parts where you left the Nair to settle. Make sure you wip all of it off. Sometimes it might not take everything all the way out, but it pulls it out a little, I usually go in with tweezers and take the long pieces that were left behind.

1. After this I take the same micellar water or toner I used before to wipe the makeup I filled them in to get a final look of them as they are. I also wash my face after.

1. This is an extra step, but I always do this. A lot of the time the reason my eyebrows look messy is because they’re long, not because of the extra hair around my eyebrows. Chances are you already have small makeup scissors and an eyebrow brush. Brush the eyebrow hair up and cut along anything that goes past the outline of your eyebrow, you can do this before or after, I usually do this after (look up eyebrow grooming videos for reference. 

This is my favorite method of doing my eyebrows because 1. It’s the cheapest way besides just tweezing, 2. It’s painless, 3. I can do it at home.

If you’re too nervous to hop in with Nair, another thing I used to do is fill my eyebrows super dark, and instead of Nair I would go in with a white color corrector and paint around to give myself of where to tweeze my eyebrows.

If your skin is a little irritated, it’s not that weird. Mine gets irritated and a little red, it usually goes away pretty soon, I have very sensitive skin, and this has never broken me out. It also helps to put aloe vera on after. But if your skin is still irritated like the next morning, this might not be for you, you can do a patch test on your arm or something first.

And remember, if you mess up, it’s not my fault.

Here’s some tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEGTcUhSR8&t=239s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpmly-l8_YI&t=371s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kW4qE2_Cw&t=8s

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!