This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Check Yourself

Zaire A. Davis

Happiness is not permanent. It can stick but just like a band aid, it can eventually start to wear out before falling off completely. We strive to find elements such as people, places, or objects in our lives that can provide and us with a comfortable, warm feeling in our heart. The downfall of relying on these complex components is that they do not have the guarantee of lasting. Our people can leave. Our hearts can break. Our pockets never seem to fill up. Refocus and redirect on what brings out your sheer joy. Joy comes from within our souls. Be content with yourself. Love yourself. Check on yourself.  Sometimes we get consumed in the craziness that is life that we neglect nurturing ourselves. Stop looking for feel-good moments and start establishing a life for yourself where you do not need a break. Make sure you fill yourself with Scriptures. Read books not because you have to, but because you want to. Take a walk. Listen to music. Put the phone down and dance in your room. Money, significant others, etc are spectacular, however, we have to remember to look beyond these envisions. How can you expect to find comfort, love, or “happiness” from someone or something if you are not truly loving yourself? Check on yourself and establish your own peace.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.