wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Boys to Men

“Boys will be boys”. This phrase has become a normalized ideology in society while also being used as a way to excuse boys for being inappropriate, immature, or just plain stupid. This standard phrase gives women the idea that they need to change how they act in order to accommodate how boys will always be. Act smarter. Dress smarter. Think smarter. Be smarter. It is ridiculous that women have to go to such lengths just to protect themselves. Why do men not have to be held accountable? When will they step up? In primary school, children learn the basic fundamentals of how to be a decent human being. Be kind. Do not litter. Do not steal. It is long overdue that we start treating men the same since the majority on this planet have the same brain capacity as mere five-year old kindergartners. Do not put your hands on a woman unless she verbally gives consent to do so. Do not yell or catcall at women. Do not refer to women as derogatory terms. I do not understand it. It is the same boys that have their grandmother’s names tattooed on their arms or the same ones that be on twitter talking about how much they love their mothers that treat women like crap. How many more times do we need to say “no means no” until it sticks into their heads? If you ask for my number and I say “no thanks”, do not respond with “why not” or “what do you mean”. If you ask me to hang out and I say no, do not keep pressing me. I do not need to explain myself. This absorbing entitlement that men have needs to be demolished. This along with the idea that women are over-exaggerating or are somehow to blame when they are harassed. Women should not have to fear walking to their car at night or get tense just when telling a boy she is not interested. Stop normalizing unacceptable behavior and make boys rise and become respectful men.

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.