Ben Carson Compares Slaves to Immigrants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

U.S secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Ben Carson, made a statement referring to slaves as immigrants and now has the entire country riled up. Many believe that Carson’s claims are a direct representation of the politicians running our country today, while others simply agree with him. Under the Trump administration these kinds of statements are to be expected.

A short lesson in American history teaches that Slaves were taken against their will and brought to America, but Ben Carson sees it another way. At his first official public address as secretary of housing he stated, “That’s what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.” This claim had the entire country questioning who Carson’s history teachers were. Social media also went into a frenzy.

While some oppose these statements made by Caron, other see nothing wrong with it. They’ve compared it to a statement made by former President Obama, “Certainly, it wasn’t easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves. There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more.’

With foreign affairs in Russia, travel bans, unsanitary water, a looming wall between our country and Mexico, and false statements made by those in Power, Trumps term has gotten off to an unusual start.

A Mass Communications major looking to obtain an internship or employment using my communication and writing expertise towards opportunities in journalism, editing, and writing
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.