Bachelor In Paradise Has Its First Queer Couple!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Summary of the Background

Bachelor In Paradise, summer of 2019, season 6 has been one of the most dramatic seasons so far.  This was the first season with a queer couple and we are all loving it!  The couple started before Season 6 began, then mid-way through the season it started getting interesting.  Reality star, Demi Burnett, was on the Bachelor and later came onto Bachelor in Paradise.  She came out earlier in the season about being bisexual, having interest in males and females.  

Coming on the show, Demi wanted to explore her options and sexuality.  Therefore, instantly she had a connection with Derek that was at first a friendship.  Later Demi had interest in Derek and they became an “unofficial couple.”  Although while she liked Derek, she also had feelings for someone else.  Someone who she dated outside of the show, who she also started dating before the show began.  Therefore, Demi had some weeks of doubt and confusion on who she wanted.  Eventually she figured it out and sat Derek down, to open up about her sexuality and Kristian Haggerty.  Kristian was the woman from back home that Demi dated, still having feelings for her.  Derek had taken the news well, knowing there was another person in her life, he understood and changed nothing about their relationship.  But after being back to normal for a couple of days, Demi became saddened again.  At one point, she contemplated on leaving the show!  Therefore, she talked to Chris Harrison and he came up with a secret plan.  For the first time on the Bachelor, Bachelorette, Bachelor in Paradise franchise; there has been a qeer couple! Chris Harrison had brought Kristian to the show, who has not been on any seasons, for Demi.  The minute they saw each other, Demi knew that Kristian was the one.  Therefore, she broke it off with Derek after having a talk.  He understood and they were still friends afterward.  

Why We Love This

Bachelor nation had never seen Demi so happy and we love it!  We are shipping Demi and Kristian, hoping they will stay together until the end!  Although, everyone knows anything can happen in paradise, we will see on the last week when we post a final recap and thoughts.  Everyone was shocked that the franchise was going to allow the couple since it has never been seen before.  So, we will see what happens on the last week!

Images From Websites Below:

Hi everyone, I am from the Lonestar state, go cowboys!  I lived in several places including some countries which I love writing about, along with writing about lifestyle.  I am majoring in Mass Communications with a with a minor in history!