“Are You Ok?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

“Hey, are you okay, what’s been going on lately?”

Seems simple right, checking up on your friends? Often a forgotten task. Sometimes it’s easy to get swept up in your own life and problems, but something that needs to be continually stressed is checking up on your friends.

1. Checking up on your funny friends. Sometimes the ones that are laughing the most, may be hurting the most. Make sure you’re reach out to them. Reminding them that you’re they’re and not everything has to be okay. Don’t forget that maybe their laughs turn into tears at the end of the night.

2. Checking on your strong friends. Whenever you’re down you know you can always lean on this person, make sure they can lean on you too. Don’t be a one sided friend, Just because they’re strong doesn’t mean they don’t hurt. Sometimes the strong people are the one’s who are secretly crying for someone to just ask them, “girl, what’s going on with you?”

3. Checking on your friend who has a bad habit of avoiding her feelings. Sometimes you may have to annoy your friend like this, because it may take three times for them to really get it out. They never want to “bother,” anyone with there problems. Let them know you care so much and here for them whenever they need you!

Checking on your friends seems so much like common sense. Sometimes you don’t even think there’s anything wrong but people have a good way of putting on a facade. It take three seconds to ask, “How have you really been?” You never know when someone is at there breaking point.

Not everyone wears their feelings on their sleeves, those are the people to especially check for. And when someone is ready to let it all out, make sure you LISTEN! Life gets hard for us all, but make sure you’re checking up on your loved ones. Everyone needs someone. Because we are better together, than we are apart.

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.