This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

The 60 Second Rule [TESTED]

By Valentina Hernandez

You have probably heard “use this for your skin,” or “do this, it will help.” With so many suggestions and products, where do you even start?!

This past week, I came across this rule called the 60 Second Rule through social media ; I know, I know what you’re thinking. Another big beauty guru trend that supposedly will cure all my imperfections and even graduate me from college. No, it will not but I will tell you how it worked on REAL skin.

WHAT IS IT?

The 60 Second Rule focuses on cleansing your face for 60 seconds instead of the average 15 seconds. This allows your cleansers ingredients to ACTUALLY work in your favor. And it all started when LABeautylogist, Nayamka Roberts-Smith responded to a tweet regarding what the 60 Second Rule was and its benefits. She quote, “It softens the skin & dissolves sebum blockages better.Texture & overall evenness improves. #60SecondRule.” WOW, so simple yet so interesting how putting more time into cleansing can change. So, what was the result when I put it to test?

THE EXPERIMENT

Let’s start by the background, my skin. I’ve had it all and I have it all from scars, pores, to redness. I’m familiar with acne and cystic acne which caused me many insecurities. Fortunately, for the past year I have been able to clear and reduce my breakouts. And, when it comes to my skin scare routine. I have kept the same routine going for four months starting with cleaning, toner, essence, and moisturizer. When I started the experiment, I kept the same products in my routine and focused on the rule. I should also note that I do not wear make up frequently.

The products I religiously used for this and the past year has been the Good Morning Cleanser, Snail Mucin 96 Essence, an Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap from COSRX. I washed my face twice a for 60 seconds then followed up with essence, and topped off with lotion for a week. I made sure to include two to three face masks (i.e. sheet mask, and wash-off masks).

The results? In Delaware weather, my skin felt more dry; doing this routine required a good follow up moisturizer and reduce sebum production. The 60 second rule has worked wonderfully for many but in my experiment, I felt that it was a no for me. I saw no big difference in how my skin felt other than it felt more oily and dry along with all the dry weather.

Conclusion; this rule will help to remove all your make up residue but without the right products to compensate, you can’t really the difference. As I always say, don’t allow one point of view to shape your actions and experiment for yourself!

Good day readers! I'm a Business MIS student who enjoys writing about important real-life issues on political, health, and beauty.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!