Ohio University Leaves Fall East Green
Ohio University Leaves Fall East Green
Hannah Moskowitz

5 Must Do Fall Selfcare Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

With school in session for students, virtual learning might be difficult and hard to focus on at times. When working on schoolwork it’s sometimes hard to bring that focus back to yourself. Your relationship with yourself is vital to how successful your external relationships are. Below are 5 must-do fall self-care activities to help you wind down.

Watch Halloween Movies

Below are some Halloween and scary themed movies and TV series (some of which are on Netflix) to get you in the October/ Halloween spirit. 

Movies: 

● Killer Klowns (Netflix) 

● The Babysitter Killer Queen (Netflix) 

● Train to Busan (Netflix) 

● #Alive (Netflix) 

● Cult of Chucky (Netflix) 

● The Autopsy of Jane Doe (Netflix) 

● Children of the Corn 

● The Boy (Netflix) 

● The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) 

● Hocus Pocus 

● Halloween Town 

● Halloween Town High 

● Halloween Town High 2 

● 14 Cameras (Netflix) 

● A Haunted House (Netflix) 

● The Addams Family (Netflix) 

● In The Tall Grass (Netflix) 

● Hush (Netflix) 

TV Shows: 

● Scream (Netflix) 

● American Horror Story (Netflix) 

● Slasher (Netflix) 

● Two Sentence Horror Stories (Netflix) 

● Monster House 

● Scary Godmother 

● Scary Godmother 2 

Although all of these are on Netflix you can find a lot of channels on cable TV that show Halloween and scary movies all day and night like Syfy, Lifetime, and FreeForm. Even though we’re in college you can even find TV shows that are doing Halloween/scary themed episodes on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.

Seasonal Foods and Drinks

A change in the season means a change in restaurant menus. Now’s the time to grab your seasonal pumpkin, hazelnut, caramel, maple, or apple cider food and beverages. They’re only here for a season so make sure to get yours. Below are lists of popular restaurants that have an assortment of fall treats. 

Starbucks 

➢ Pumpkin Spice Latte 

➢ Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew 

➢ Salted Carmel Mocha 

➢ Salted Carmel Mocha Frappuccino 

➢ Pumpkin Scone 

➢ Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin 

Dunkin Donuts 

➢ Signature Pumpkin Spice Latte 

➢ Chai Latte 

➢ Pumpkin Flavored Coffee 

➢ Apple Cider Donut and Muchkins 

➢ Maple Sugar Bacon Breakfast Sandwich 

IHOP 

➢ Pumpkin Spice Pancakes 

➢ Cookies N’ Cream Hot Chocolate 

➢ Cinn-A-Stack Pancakes 

➢ Milk N’ Cookies Pancakes

Participate in Inktober

This activity is popular among visual artists to participate in. Inktober is a 31-day challenge to draw whatever you want based on the list that changes every year. Each day will have an adjective of the day that you will need to draw from for all of October. For example, on October 7th you have to draw anything that relates to the adjective “exhausted”. Of course, if you miss a day it’s ok because this is supposed to be fun and engaging. In addition, it’s called Inktober because ideally, you would draw it in ink, but if you don’t have ink that’s ok just focus on drawing and having fun! 

October 1- Poisonous 

October 2- Tranquil 

October 3- Roasted 

October 4- Spell 

October 5- Chicken 

October 6- Drooling 

October 7- Exhausted 

October 8- Star

October 9- Precious 

October 10- Flowing 

October 11- Cruel 

October 12- Whale 

October 13- Guarded 

October 14- Clock 

October 15- Weak 

October 16- Angular 

October 17- Swollen 

October 18- Bottle 

October 19- Scorched 

October 20- Breakable 

October 21- Drain 

October 22- Expensive 

October 23- Muddy 

October 24- Chop 

October 25- Prickly 

October 26- Stretch 

October 27- Thunder 

October 28- Gift 

October 29- Double 

October 30- Jolt 

October 31- Slice 

To find more about Inktober and get inspired google: Inktober 2020. 

Go Outside

Zooming (online classes) all-day long can be exhausting so it’s important to take a break from being online and unplug by going outside. On the list below there are a couple of easy and free activities to take part so there’s no excuse to go outside once in a while and get some fresh air. Below is a list of Delaware parks that you can take a (nature) walk or jog at along with other outside places and activities to enjoy. 

Delaware Parks: 

➔ Silver Lake Park (Dover, DE) 

➔ Shutte Park (Dover, DE) 

➔ Big Oak County Park (Smyrna, DE) 

➔ Blackbird State Forest (Smyrna, DE) 

➔ Brecknock Park (Camden, DE) 

➔ Killen Ponds State Park (Felton, DE) 

➔ Fort DuPont State Park (Delaware City, DE) 

➔ Fort Delaware State Park (Delaware City, DE) 

➔ Lums Pond State Park (Bear, DE) 

➔ Delaware City Community Park (Delaware City, DE) 

➔ Bellevue State Park (Wilmington, DE) 

➔ Alapocas State Park (Wilmington, DE)

➔ Brandywine Creek State Park (Wilmington, DE) 

➔ New Castle Battery Park (New Castle, DE) 

➔ White Clay Creek State Park (Newark, DE) 

➔ Delaware Seashore State Park (Rehoboth Beach, DE) 

➔ Cape Henlopen State Park (Lewes, DE) 

Other outside activities: 

➔ Walk-in your neighborhood 

➔ Ride your bike 

➔ Roller skate/ skateboarding 

➔ Have a picnic 

➔ Draw chalk on the sidewalk 

➔ Watch the sunrise or sunset

Decorate Pumpkins

Crafts or anything creative can inspire your imagination to give you a break from reality. In creating there are no rules only what you feel is right. Although you can do any creative activity this one supports breast cancer awareness month. With this project, you’ll purchase a pumpkin, paint, brushes, and decorations from any store like Dollar Tree or Walmart. It doesn’t matter whether the pumpkin is real or fake, the only thing that matters is that you decorate it pink. If you want to do more you can add quotes or anything inspirational to give encouraging words to someone going through breast cancer. After you’re done decorating your pumpkin put it outside your door to show that you support breast cancer awareness month and anyone going through this hard fight.

Make sure to try out at least one of these activities and share one or all of them with your friends. To make it more fun you can do these activities with your friends who might also need a break from online schooling. Thanks for reading and take care!

I'm a junior at Delaware State University majoring in New Media in Arts and minoring in Entrepreneurship. I like drawing, language learning, and binge-watching Law and Order: SVU. Although, I'm new to writing articles I hope you all enjoy my writing!