This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

3 Must-Watch Canadian Shows

Canadian television is underrated. Many of their shows of both the past and present have been excellent and of the same caliber as American shows. However, a lot of Canadian talent goes unnoticed, because of lack of exposure in American media. Canadian content being shown on major American cable networks is rare. Fortunately, streaming services such as Netflix and YouTube have provided platforms for Canadian content to be shared across the world. These are three must-watch Canadian shows.

Degrassi

Degrassi is one of my favorite series ever, so yes there is a bit a bias involved here, but it’s deserving of it. Reinvented five times throughout the years: The Kids of Degrassi Street, Degrassi Junior High, Degrassi High, Degrassi: The Next Generation, and Degrassi: Next Class have all told groundbreaking and raw stories centering on kids and teenagers growing up in Canada. Degrassi was way ahead of its time. It’s storylines and characters still impact and strongly resonate with people today. Seasons of Degrassi Junior High, Degrassi High, and Degrassi: The Next Generation can be found on YouTube. While all seasons of Degrassi: Next Class can be found on Netflix.

Teenagers: Web Series

Similarly to Degrassi, this striking and bold web series is a more modern approach of the trials and tribulations of teenage-hood. It specifically highlights issues such as racism, violence, sexuality, drug and alcohol abuse, the effects social media and more. It also features a few Degrassi alums.  All three seasons can be found on YouTube.

Kim’s Convenience

A television sitcom that is hilarious, heartfelt, and has depth. The series centers on a Korean family, the Kim’s who run a convenience store in downtown Toronto. What I admire about the show is how it tackles generational differences between the parents of the family, and their children in a comedic yet impactful way. The show also simply draws laughs through the family’s interactions with each other, and community. Also, Toronto’s diversity is highlighted through the family ’s interactions with different people that come in the store. Seasons one, two, and three of Kim’s Convenience are currently streaming on Netflix.

Hopefully, you will take the time to watch these shows!

Just a girl from the Garden State currently attending Delaware State University studying mass communications. Lover of acting, writing, music, food, sports, coffee, and good vibes.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!