This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Have a couple Mason jars laying around in your room? Here are some ideas on how to use them around campus!

1. Water Cup

Feeling a little dehydrated in class? Take that Mason jar and fill it up at the water fountain; drink up! Imagine if you fill it up before every class, how much water you could be drinking? Stay hydrated!

2.To-go cup

Have you tried taking a shuttle or bus that restricts fountain drinks? Don’t lose your drink just to get to your next destination and use that jar! Transfer your drink into a Mason jar with a sealed top and baam! Use this for any fountain drinks, and even those Chick-Fil-A milkshakes that cost more. Mason jars also handle hot drinks, don’t limit yourself!

3. Salad for later

Did you happen to go the dinning hall and had no appetite at the moment? Use a Mason jar and fill it up with some greens for a nice salad later. The seal tight top will keep it fresh until you are ready to eat. Make sure to add your dressing too!

4. Leftovers

As college students, we know the importance of eating healthy; however, we sometimes crave that homemade food. If you are able to cook in your dorm, use Mason jars to store any leftovers from any dish! Mason jars come in different shapes and sizes that can be used to carefully portion out any meals as well.

5. Canned foods

Along with leftovers, canned food can be stored in Mason jars. Once canned foods are opened, the tricky part is having the leftovers properly stored again. Use a Mason jar to seal them up again and enjoy later!

6. Flower Base

Valentines day is just around the corner and receiving flowers can be exciting. Use a Mason jar to keep those flowers hydrated with an aesthetic look. All you need to do is cut the stems of the flowers diagonally with scissors to the height of the jar. Fill it with water and place them in a cool shady location in your room.

7. Room plants

Since we are on the topic of flowers, spice your room up with some greenery. At the local Produce Junction, you can find small and cheap plants that are perfect for indoors. Transfer the potted plant into a small Mason jar and enjoy nature in your room. This can work for any type of plant as long as they are in soil already.

8. Laundry

Did your mom buy you detergent in bulk? Avoid carrying around a heavy bottle of laundry detergent down the stairs to the laundry room. Use a Mason jar and measure out portions for the days’ laundry cycles. You can also do the same for fabric softener and other liquids. Tip: To avoid getting detergent everywhere, use a shirt that is going into the cycle and wipe down the jar and then toss into the washer.

9. Piggy Bank

Do you have coins everywhere? Use a Mason jar as a piggy bank. Carefully cut a coin hole into the lid of the top; add all your coins into the jar. Since the jars can be opened, you won’t have to break the whole thing to get change. Tip: you can even use several jars to separate the types of coins.

10. Caddy

Are you an artist or a make-up guru? Use a Mason jar to store your tools such as pens, highlighters, painting brushes, make-up brushes, and even your eating or cooking utensils. Keep your desk are all tidy up with this storage idea.

Good day readers! I'm a Business MIS student who enjoys writing about important real-life issues on political, health, and beauty.
Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!