You Know You’re A DePauw Student When….You’re Obsessed with DePauw, with A Few Exceptions.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
By: Ally Faust

Most of us have those moments when we simply cannot put into words what we love about DePauw…you just feel it. It happens when you’re walking to class: the sun is shining, the leaves are turning orange, the squirrels are scurrying around the green grass, and you’re thinking to yourself how lucky you are to be here.

However, we all also have those moments when we are a little critical of good ‘ole Depauw. When you’re sitting in the mental institution that is the library, you realize the cushion to your chair is largely missing, that the electrical outlet in your study room is hanging off the wall and, oh, the printers are broken…again.

Or the dreaded task of scheduling classes, a game that can be won only by relying on your luck or by stalking professors for SPACs, a process involving a parade of awkward “suck-up” emails to professors you have never met. You’ll think to yourself: Hey, this class looks interesting, and since it’s in my major’s discipline, there should be no problem getting in, right?! Wrong.

Lastly, we all love our little “DePauw Bubble,” it’s a one-of-a-kind place. But if you’re looking for a Chipotle burrito, a cup of Starbucks coffee, a Jimmy John’s sandwich, or a fresh bowl of Panera soup…better go to Indy. And as far as clothing, mastering the art of online shopping is your only option (I’m not saying Goodwill isn’t fabulous…).

DePauw boasts a culture in which we can explore life’s possibilities while at the same time having the time of our lives. However, to reach your own full potential, I advise finding a study space that doesn’t put your sanity at risk. Continue to stalk professors to get into the classes you want, and remember that civilization outside of DePauw exists. If you’re craving something other than the Hub’s questionable Chinese food or Marvin’s questionable-in-the daylight GCB, you can get it! Just not here.

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.