Will Justin’s New Album Turn You Into a Belieber? Probably Not.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I don’t think it’s an understatement to say that everyone has been anticipating Justin Bieber’s new album in some shape or form. Even if you aren’t a die-hard Belieber you probably knew it was about to drop and would probably listen to some of it. I fall in this camp; I’m pretty indifferent but of course I’m still going to listen to the album. I mean how am I supposed to know if his or Selena’s is better? Haha just kidding, but I am intrigued because the singles have been good. So, in this article I’m gonna talk about my top five favorite songs from the album and pray that listening to the whole thing through isn’t a waste of my time.

Yummy

If you haven’t heard this song or seen the music video then you probably live under a rock. I don’t really understand the point of the song, but not gonna lie, it’s a jam. The chorus is really repetitive in that catchy way that is sometimes annoying but also enjoyable. It’s just a chill song that I would recommend listening to.

“Forever” ft. Post Malone & Clever

When I saw that Post Malone featured on a song I got SOOO excited, because I literally live my life for his music. Despite Post Malone being a feature, I actually really like this song. It’s definitely very repetitive, but it’s just a cute song. I think the featured artists have great verses, which I thought was important. I feel like sometimes the featured artists don’t really add anything to a song, but in this song they do. I get some like bell sounds in the background which creates a really chill sound. 

Running Over ft. Lil Dicky

I only like this song because of Lil Dicky’s part in it. Lil Dicky is literally amazing and always so funny, and his verse in this song was no exception. It’s just so goofy that I find it good if that makes any sense? The sound is pretty similar to the other songs on the album, and it fits with the theme of repetition.

Second Emotion ft. Travis Scott

Right when the song started I could feel the Travis Scott vibe. Travis Scott does a good job during his part. The rest of the song is fine. Nothing special; pretty average. Oh well.

Available

This song is another pretty chill one on the album. The background beat is very steady and soothing. The sounds are pretty melodic and jingly, but there is a hint of the dance music beat drop. Like “Yummy”, the chorus is pretty repetitive but not in a bad way. It kinda just makes me want to sway but also nod my head if that makes any sense. It’s a good song.

These were definitely my favorite songs of the album. Honestly, I wasn’t a huge fan. In my opinion, most of the good songs were the ones with features, which clearly shows in my top 5. Personally, I thought most of the songs just blended together. I found myself having to refocus myself on the songs a lot because most of them sound the same. He heavily reuses the same beats and tempos, and I found myself wishing that he’d switch it up a bit. Overall, I wouldn’t necessarily say listening to this album straight through was a waste of time, but I would definitely recommend just waiting to see which songs end up topping the charts.

My name is Mallory. I am a Senior sociology major at DePauw University. If you knew me you would know I am really into skeletons and love going to music festivals!
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.