Why I Keep a Gratitude Journal and Why You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I’ve been using the same DayDesigner planner for almost three years now. I’m a very organized person, and my planner has a monthly calendar, as well as daily calendars with to-do lists on every page. I love it, and it keeps me organized. But one of the features I hadn’t utilized much up until recently was the gratitude section. Everyday has its own page in the planner, complete with a little section for gratitude. 

Everything I’ve ever read online has said that gratitude is a very important factor in being mentally healthy and happy. So, one of the things I started doing at the beginning of this year in my fresh planner was filling in something I was grateful for every day. 

I liked the practice, and I found that at first, it could be hard to find something to be grateful for. But as my life picked up some speed as I returned to DePauw’s campus for swim practices and my winter term class, I began forgetting to fill in the gratitude boxes. So, every couple of days, I would go back and try to think of something on that given day that I was thankful for. I found this to be easier, and that there were often lots of things I wanted to write down in the gratitude box, and I didn’t have enough room. 

The winter term class I took this year was the Skills of Happiness class taught by Doug Smith. Out of the many things I gained from this class, gratitude was (once again) a skill that was stressed. One of the things Professor Smith suggested we do was keep a gratitude journal. 

I liked the practice of daily gratitude in my planner (okay, maybe not-so-daily gratitude) so much that I decided to start a gratitude journal. 

I started by writing the date at the top of a page, and then simply writing things I was grateful for. The first thing was the hardest, usually, but as soon as I got going, I could just keep writing things I was grateful for. They could be big things, such as being grateful that my parents were getting on a plane to come visit me for a weekend and watch a swim meet of mine. They could be small things too, such as finding something I had misplaced, or having a productive morning. And the same people kept reappearing: my closest friends, my boyfriend and my family. 

It made me feel happier— all the things I’d read online were true. But I had to keep doing it. And the more time I spent being grateful, the happier I felt. 

This practice is incredibly beneficial. For college students who are on the go, a word doc on your computer might be a better medium than a physical journal you have to carry around. It could even work as just a note on your phone. I’ve gotten so much out of this, and I’d highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be happier or mentally healthier. Just a few minutes a day can have such a large impact.

Jackie Ebel

DePauw '21

Jackie is a current senior communication major at DePauw University in Indiana. She's lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and Maryland. She loves swimming, ice chai lattes, and the band Walk the Moon. Jackie is the editor for the profile and features sections of DePauw's branch of HerCampus.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.